Aug 9, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Ramirez felt discomfort prior to the game, but was deemed OK to start. However, he only made it through one at-bat before leaving the game. You can see him grimacing during his at-bat here.
“One swing, and it tied up on me,” said Ramirez. “I tried to play. [Manager Don Mattingly] wanted to be careful and took me out of the game to get treatment. What he did, I think, was smart. He doesn’t want me to get worse.”
This is just the latest issue for Ramirez, who has already missed 24 starts this year due to calf and shoulder injuries. The impending free agent is batting .277/.367/.455 with 12 home runs, 58 RBI, and 12 stolen bases over 100 games this season.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)