Aug 9, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Ramirez felt discomfort prior to the game, but was deemed OK to start. However, he only made it through one at-bat before leaving the game. You can see him grimacing during his at-bat here.
“One swing, and it tied up on me,” said Ramirez. “I tried to play. [Manager Don Mattingly] wanted to be careful and took me out of the game to get treatment. What he did, I think, was smart. He doesn’t want me to get worse.”
This is just the latest issue for Ramirez, who has already missed 24 starts this year due to calf and shoulder injuries. The impending free agent is batting .277/.367/.455 with 12 home runs, 58 RBI, and 12 stolen bases over 100 games this season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 57
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 110
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)