Aug 9, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Mark Zuckerman of NatsInsider.com reports that the Nationals are expected to call up outfield prospect Michael Taylor to the big leagues. He is expected to be with the team in time for their evening series finale in Atlanta against the Braves. The Nationals have seen two of their outfielders — Jayson Werth and Steven Souza — suffer recent injuries.
Taylor, 23, started the season at Double-A Harrisburg — his first taste of that level of competition — and posted fantastic results, slashing .313/.396/.539 with 22 home runs, 63 RBI, and 35 stolen bases. Taylor made his Triple-A debut with the Syracuse Chiefs on Monday. In four games, he has five hits (including three doubles and a triple) with a pair of RBI and a stolen base.
It’s not clear yet what roster move the Nationals will make to create room for Taylor, but it could involve a DL stint for either or both of Werth and Souza.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 17
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)