Aug 9, 2014, 11:18 PM EST
Twins pitching prospect Trevor May was called up and made his major league debut tonight against the Athletics, but it didn’t go nearly as well as they hoped. The right-hander, acquired along with Vance Worley in December 2012 in the trade that sent Ben Revere to the Phillies, was pitching well at Triple-A Rochester, prompting the promotion.
May, however, lasted only two innings. Only 28 of the 63 pitches he threw were strikes, as he finished the night with seven walks while allowing three hits and failing to record a strikeout, surrendering four runs in total. He walked two in the first inning, including a bases-loaded walk to Derek Norris to force in a run. In the second, he walked five — including three consecutively after quickly getting the first two outs of the inning.
May, 24, missed some time between June 22 and July 13 with a strained right calf, but posted a 2.41 ERA over four starts after coming off of the disabled list. Overall, in 17 starts with Rochester, May posted a 2.93 ERA with a 91/37 K/BB ratio in 95 1/3 innings.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)