Wil Myers set to begin minor league rehab assignment

Aug 9, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT

wil myers getty Getty Images

Sidelined for over two months with a stress fracture in his right wrist, Rays outfielder Wil Myers is slated to begin a minor league rehab assignment today with Triple-A Durham.

Myers injured his wrist in an outfield collision with teammate Desmond Jennings on May 30. The original diagnosis was a sprained wrist, but further examination revealed the fracture. He wore a cast for several weeks before recently ramping up baseball activities. Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times wrote on Thursday that Myers is expected to spend about two weeks in the minors, setting up his return later this month.

After winning the American League Rookie of the Year Award last season, Myers was batting just .227/.313/.354 with five home runs and 25 RBI over 53 games this season prior to the injury.

1. raysfan1 - Aug 9, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Yay! Fingers crossed for him. The Rays need this guy.

• indaburg - Aug 9, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Yep. So who is going to see reduced play time?

• raysfan1 - Aug 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Hope it’s not Kiermaier.

• raysfan1 - Aug 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM

A waivers-then-trade of one of the older outfielders would not surprise me.

• indaburg - Aug 9, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Joyce? DeJesus? He’s on a similar timetable to return as Myers. Zobrist? I was very surprised to see him not traded at the deadline. Combined with Price, the return would have been much better. If we’re waving the white flag, maximize returns. Jennings? He’s fast, but his OBP and SB are disappointing.

• hittfamily - Aug 9, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I was extremely surprised Joyce wasn’t moved at the deadline. I thought Seattle or KC was almost a guarantee. Especially with Kiermaier, another quality LH bat emerging.

Speaking of Kevin Kiermaier, I think KK gets sent down for 2 weeks. I read he needs about 2 fewer weeks in the majors to avoid qualifying for super 2 status. My guess is that they leave Myers in the minors long enough for him to work out whatever flaws he had, and then when he’s promoted Kiermaier is sent back to Durham.

I don’t like it, but 2 weeks worth of KK isn’t worth the multi millions it will save down the line,

2. raysfan1 - Aug 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Jennings is the youngest, still has all 3 arbitration years coming, so I’m guessing not him. I’d keep Zobrist, even though he’s the most expensive (team option for next year at $7.5M). For now I’d guess Joyce if they do trade one, but I was wrong when I predicted they hang onto Price until the off season.

• hittfamily - Aug 9, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Maybe Friedman has been wathcing Frank of “American Pickers” too much, and wants to bundle. Helly and Joyce are prime targets to move this offseason.

• raysfan1 - Aug 9, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I’m fine with Frank’s “bundle mania” as long as the return is good.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3506)