Aug 10, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Rangers outfielder Alex Rios left before taking the field for the bottom half of the fourth inning in Sunday’s series finale against the Rangers. In the top half, Rios had doubled in a run with no outs. After the Astros retired two Rangers consecutively, Adam Rosales weakly lined a single into the hole between shortstop and third base. The ball skipped away from Marwin Gonzalez, and Rios was sent home after rounding the third base bag. Rios slid foot-first into catcher Carlos Corporan‘s mitt, kicking the ball out but injuring his ankle in the process. Jim Adducci took his place in right field after the frame.
Rios was making his first start since Wednesday due to reaggravating his right ankle. He suffered the initial injury in July, missing a few games shortly after the All-Star break. Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle reports that Rios will be reevaluated on Monday.
Rios, 33, was having a great season, but his numbers have fallen as of late, posting a .486 OPS since returning from the All-Star break. Including today’s limited action, Rios has a .294/.324/.415 slash line with four home runs, 46 RBI, and 16 stolen bases.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 93
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)