Aug 10, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Rangers outfielder Alex Rios left before taking the field for the bottom half of the fourth inning in Sunday’s series finale against the Rangers. In the top half, Rios had doubled in a run with no outs. After the Astros retired two Rangers consecutively, Adam Rosales weakly lined a single into the hole between shortstop and third base. The ball skipped away from Marwin Gonzalez, and Rios was sent home after rounding the third base bag. Rios slid foot-first into catcher Carlos Corporan‘s mitt, kicking the ball out but injuring his ankle in the process. Jim Adducci took his place in right field after the frame.
Rios was making his first start since Wednesday due to reaggravating his right ankle. He suffered the initial injury in July, missing a few games shortly after the All-Star break. Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle reports that Rios will be reevaluated on Monday.
Rios, 33, was having a great season, but his numbers have fallen as of late, posting a .486 OPS since returning from the All-Star break. Including today’s limited action, Rios has a .294/.324/.415 slash line with four home runs, 46 RBI, and 16 stolen bases.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)