Aug 10, 2014, 10:21 AM EST
When outfielder Allen Craig jammed his left foot on the first base bag in his first game since being traded to the Red Sox, there was some speculation that he might be shut down for the remainder of the 2014 season. Craig suffered a left Lisfranc fracture in late 2013 and hasn’t been right since, so calling it quits and aiming for a fresh start in 2015 would make sense. But it doesn’t sound like that’s the plan.
According to beat writer Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe, Craig “got positive news from foot specialist Dr. Robert Anderson on Friday and could come off the disabled list when eligible this month.”
The first day Craig is eligible to be activated is August 17 — next Sunday.
“We’re taking every step to ramp up his baseball activities and get him back on the field as soon as possible,” Red Sox manager John Farrell told reporters this weekend in Anaheim. “The Lisfranc injury, that was still seen in the MRI that was done. But don’t feel that there were any chronic changes to what was viewed last year. Our approach is to get him playing and we’ll see if there’s adverse effect to more aggressive play.”
Craig was one of the most productive hitters in the National League from 2011-2013, batting .312/.364/.500 with 46 home runs and 229 RBI in 328 games for St. Louis. This year, he’s hit .237/.291/.348 in 98 games.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)