Aug 10, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
A brutal development here for the Angels …
According to Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register, left-handed starter Tyler Skaggs needs Tommy John reconstructive surgery to repair a ligament tear in his throwing elbow. He’s obviously done for the remainder of the 2014 season and will miss a large majority of the 2015 campaign as well.
Skaggs has been on the disabled list since August 1 with what was initially labeled a flexor muscle strain. After failing to make significant progress in his rehab, more tests were taken and it was recommended that he go under the knife.
The Angels have a firm grip on the top American League Wild Card spot and are still hoping to catch the Athletics in the American League West standings, but the back end of their rotation is in bad shape.
Skaggs, 23, was sporting a 4.30 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 86/30 K/BB ratio in 113 innings this year.
UPDATE: Via MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez, Skaggs has already been ruled out for all of 2015:
Tyler Skaggs has a partial tear in UCL and was told that even if he’s 100 percent in 12 months, he won’t pitch in MLB in 2015. #Angels
— Alden Gonzalez (@Alden_Gonzalez) August 10, 2014
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (84)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)