Aug 10, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
A brutal development here for the Angels …
According to Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register, left-handed starter Tyler Skaggs needs Tommy John reconstructive surgery to repair a ligament tear in his throwing elbow. He’s obviously done for the remainder of the 2014 season and will miss a large majority of the 2015 campaign as well.
Skaggs has been on the disabled list since August 1 with what was initially labeled a flexor muscle strain. After failing to make significant progress in his rehab, more tests were taken and it was recommended that he go under the knife.
The Angels have a firm grip on the top American League Wild Card spot and are still hoping to catch the Athletics in the American League West standings, but the back end of their rotation is in bad shape.
Skaggs, 23, was sporting a 4.30 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 86/30 K/BB ratio in 113 innings this year.
UPDATE: Via MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez, Skaggs has already been ruled out for all of 2015:
Tyler Skaggs has a partial tear in UCL and was told that even if he’s 100 percent in 12 months, he won’t pitch in MLB in 2015. #Angels
— Alden Gonzalez (@Alden_Gonzalez) August 10, 2014
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 15
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 44
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)