Aug 10, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
A brutal development here for the Angels …
According to Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register, left-handed starter Tyler Skaggs needs Tommy John reconstructive surgery to repair a ligament tear in his throwing elbow. He’s obviously done for the remainder of the 2014 season and will miss a large majority of the 2015 campaign as well.
Skaggs has been on the disabled list since August 1 with what was initially labeled a flexor muscle strain. After failing to make significant progress in his rehab, more tests were taken and it was recommended that he go under the knife.
The Angels have a firm grip on the top American League Wild Card spot and are still hoping to catch the Athletics in the American League West standings, but the back end of their rotation is in bad shape.
Skaggs, 23, was sporting a 4.30 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 86/30 K/BB ratio in 113 innings this year.
UPDATE: Via MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez, Skaggs has already been ruled out for all of 2015:
Tyler Skaggs has a partial tear in UCL and was told that even if he’s 100 percent in 12 months, he won’t pitch in MLB in 2015. #Angels
— Alden Gonzalez (@Alden_Gonzalez) August 10, 2014
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 0
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 28
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)