Aug 10, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
A brutal development here for the Angels …
According to Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register, left-handed starter Tyler Skaggs needs Tommy John reconstructive surgery to repair a ligament tear in his throwing elbow. He’s obviously done for the remainder of the 2014 season and will miss a large majority of the 2015 campaign as well.
Skaggs has been on the disabled list since August 1 with what was initially labeled a flexor muscle strain. After failing to make significant progress in his rehab, more tests were taken and it was recommended that he go under the knife.
The Angels have a firm grip on the top American League Wild Card spot and are still hoping to catch the Athletics in the American League West standings, but the back end of their rotation is in bad shape.
Skaggs, 23, was sporting a 4.30 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 86/30 K/BB ratio in 113 innings this year.
UPDATE: Via MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez, Skaggs has already been ruled out for all of 2015:
Tyler Skaggs has a partial tear in UCL and was told that even if he’s 100 percent in 12 months, he won’t pitch in MLB in 2015. #Angels
— Alden Gonzalez (@Alden_Gonzalez) August 10, 2014
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)