Aug 10, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
A brutal development here for the Angels …
According to Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register, left-handed starter Tyler Skaggs needs Tommy John reconstructive surgery to repair a ligament tear in his throwing elbow. He’s obviously done for the remainder of the 2014 season and will miss a large majority of the 2015 campaign as well.
Skaggs has been on the disabled list since August 1 with what was initially labeled a flexor muscle strain. After failing to make significant progress in his rehab, more tests were taken and it was recommended that he go under the knife.
The Angels have a firm grip on the top American League Wild Card spot and are still hoping to catch the Athletics in the American League West standings, but the back end of their rotation is in bad shape.
Skaggs, 23, was sporting a 4.30 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 86/30 K/BB ratio in 113 innings this year.
UPDATE: Via MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez, Skaggs has already been ruled out for all of 2015:
Tyler Skaggs has a partial tear in UCL and was told that even if he’s 100 percent in 12 months, he won’t pitch in MLB in 2015. #Angels
— Alden Gonzalez (@Alden_Gonzalez) August 10, 2014
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)