Aug 10, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
Cubs third base prospect Kris Bryant hasn’t slowed down one bit since being promoted on June 18 from Double-A Tennessee to Triple-A Iowa and slugged his 38th home run of the season on Saturday night in Oklahoma City, home of the Astros’ Triple-A team.
Bryant is now in a deadlock with Rangers third base prospect Joey Gallo — a fellow native of Las Vegas, Nevada — for the minor league home run lead.
Since being selected second overall in the 2013 MLB Amateur Draft out of the University of San Diego, the 22-year-old Bryant has batted .340/.435/.691 with 47 homers and 129 RBI in 153 minor league games. He is not expected to join fellow Top 10 prospect Javier Baez in Chicago this year, but Bryant could very well be on the Cubs’ Opening Day roster in 2015. There’s been talk of moving the 6-foot-6 slugger to right field.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 3
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 35
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 180
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (180)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)