Aug 10, 2014, 5:11 PM EST
From Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer …
Two of the worst pitching staffs in baseball jettisoned Jerome Williams this season, but the veteran righthander has found a new home with the pitching-starved Phillies.
On Sunday, they claimed Williams off waivers from Texas. The 32-year-old Hawaiian is expected to start Tuesday against one of his other former teams, the Los Angeles Angels.
That’s the rotation spot that belonged to Roberto Hernandez, who was traded to the Dodgers last week. Sean O’Sullivan filled in Thursday but the Phillies designated him for assignment on Sunday afternoon to clear the roster spot that Williams now occupies.
Williams has posted rough 6.71 ERA in 57 2/3 innings this season between the Astros and Rangers.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 23
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 18
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)