Aug 11, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Orioles announced that Machado has a right knee sprain. That’s a vague diagnosis, but more on his status should be known after he’s reevaluated tomorrow.
8:47 a.m. ET: The high-profile injuries keep on coming, as Orioles third baseman Manny Machado was forced to exit tonight’s game against the Yankees in the bottom of the third inning with an apparent injury to his right knee.
Machado suffered the injury after broke his bat on a swing. His right knee buckled and he fell on his back in obvious pain. He needed help getting off the field and down the dugout steps. You can watch it here.
Machado tore the medial patellofemoral ligament in his left knee last September and underwent surgery one month later. He didn’t make his season debut until May 1 this year and got off to a slow start upon his return, but he had really taken off recently, hitting .345 with eight homers and 21 RBI over his last 35 games. Another serious knee injury would be quite a blow for the Orioles’ postseason hopes.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)