Aug 11, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
In the Blue Jays’ marathon 19-inning win over the Tigers last night Toronto outfielder Melky Cabrera reached base eight times, hitting three singles and drawing five walks.
The last hitter to reach base eight or more times in a game was Hall of Famer Rod Carew in 1972. And before that it was Rocky Calavito in 1962.
So yeah, Cabrera did something pretty rare. In fact, according to the indispensable bible of baseball history BaseballReference.com he’s just the seventh hitter ever to reach base at least eight times in a game.
MELKY CABRERA August 10, 2014 Rod Carew May 12, 1972 Rocky Colavito June 24, 1962 Stan Hack August 9, 1942 Johnny Burnett July 10, 1932 Lou Gehrig September 5, 1927 Max Carey July 7, 1922
That’s it. That’s the whole list. Oh, and Cabrera is now hitting .318 with an .855 OPS in 118 games for the Blue Jays after so many people used his poor 2013 production as an anti-steroids soapbox.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)