Aug 11, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
In the Blue Jays’ marathon 19-inning win over the Tigers last night Toronto outfielder Melky Cabrera reached base eight times, hitting three singles and drawing five walks.
The last hitter to reach base eight or more times in a game was Hall of Famer Rod Carew in 1972. And before that it was Rocky Calavito in 1962.
So yeah, Cabrera did something pretty rare. In fact, according to the indispensable bible of baseball history BaseballReference.com he’s just the seventh hitter ever to reach base at least eight times in a game.
MELKY CABRERA August 10, 2014 Rod Carew May 12, 1972 Rocky Colavito June 24, 1962 Stan Hack August 9, 1942 Johnny Burnett July 10, 1932 Lou Gehrig September 5, 1927 Max Carey July 7, 1922
That’s it. That’s the whole list. Oh, and Cabrera is now hitting .318 with an .855 OPS in 118 games for the Blue Jays after so many people used his poor 2013 production as an anti-steroids soapbox.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)