Aug 11, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
In the Blue Jays’ marathon 19-inning win over the Tigers last night Toronto outfielder Melky Cabrera reached base eight times, hitting three singles and drawing five walks.
The last hitter to reach base eight or more times in a game was Hall of Famer Rod Carew in 1972. And before that it was Rocky Calavito in 1962.
So yeah, Cabrera did something pretty rare. In fact, according to the indispensable bible of baseball history BaseballReference.com he’s just the seventh hitter ever to reach base at least eight times in a game.
MELKY CABRERA August 10, 2014 Rod Carew May 12, 1972 Rocky Colavito June 24, 1962 Stan Hack August 9, 1942 Johnny Burnett July 10, 1932 Lou Gehrig September 5, 1927 Max Carey July 7, 1922
That’s it. That’s the whole list. Oh, and Cabrera is now hitting .318 with an .855 OPS in 118 games for the Blue Jays after so many people used his poor 2013 production as an anti-steroids soapbox.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (73)