Aug 11, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Jeremy Hefner made 22 starts for the Mets last season prior to undergoing Tommy John surgery and now he has suffered a significant setback in his recovery.
Hefner, who had Tommy John surgery last August, felt soreness in his surgically-repaired right elbow during a minor league rehab start last Wednesday. According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Mets assistant general manager John Ricco said after today’s game that Hefner reinjured the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow and also suffered a stress fracture of his ulna bone. The expectation is that he will need another Tommy John surgery.
Here’s what Hefner wrote on his Facebook page:
“Although this injury is extremely uncommon, it does happen. There aren’t many case studies on it, but it does require me to have T.J. surgery again. Yes, that means starting completely over. I’m not sure what my course of action is. Should have a clearer picture in the coming days. I’m disappointed, but not shaken. I have a lot of things to be thankful for, and I’ll rest in that.”
Just devastating. Tommy John surgery continues to have a high success rate, but when it comes to throwing a baseball, nothing is a guarantee. Here’s the latest example.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)