Aug 11, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
The Royals just announced that they have acquired outfielder/designated hitter Josh Willingham from the Twins in exchange for prospect right-hander Jason Adam.
Willingham, 35, is batting just .210/.345/.402 with 12 home runs and 34 RBI over 68 games this season. However, he still offers power and patience from the right side of the plate and could be useful in a part-time role down the stretch. An incremental upgrade could make a difference for the Royals, who will begin play tonight just a half-game behind the Tigers for first place in the American League Central. Willingham is owed a little under $2 million for the remainder of this season, after which he will become a free agent.
Adam, 23, has a 4.67 ERA and 89/30 K/BB ratio over 98 1/3 innings this season between Double- and Triple-A. He pitched exclusively as a starter over his first three seasons in pro ball, but he has made nine relief appearances this season, including eight since his promotion to Triple-A. Baseball America ranked him as the Royals’ No. 9 prospect over the winter.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)