Aug 11, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
It’s August 11th and the Royals are in first place in the American League Central. That’s not a typo.
The Royals won their eighth straight game tonight with a 3-2 victory over the Athletics at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City. Meanwhile, the Tigers lost 11-6 to the Pirates at PNC Park in Pittsburgh. As a result, the Royals are now a half-game ahead of the Tigers in the division. It’s quite a turnaround when you consider that they were eight games out of first place on July 21. They have gone 16-3 since.
The Royals and Athletics were tied 2-2 tonight before shortstop Alcides Escobar delivered a go-ahead single off Sonny Gray in the seventh inning. Yordano Ventura allowed two runs over six innings before Kelvin Herrera, Wade Davis, and Greg Holland combined for three scoreless innings to lock down the victory. The back end of that bullpen is really something. After making the catch for the final out of the game, center fielder Jarrod Dyson provided the exclamation point by doing a post-victory backflip. Fun times in Kansas City.
The Royals haven’t been to the postseason since 1985. This is the latest they have been in first place in a season since 2003.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 27
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 44
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 57
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)