Base-running madness in the Yankees-Orioles game

Aug 12, 2014, 11:50 AM EST

I was watching the Yankees-Orioles game last night as this play happened and still had to re-watch the video a few times afterward just to make sure I realized everything that went on.

It’s pure madness, including Carlos Beltran “stealing home” as a throw bounces off his helmet, Bud Norris acting like he’s never played baseball before, and two Yankees runs scoring on what was a botched hit-and-run attempt.

Beltran and Chase Headley were both credited with stolen bases, Norris and Manny Machado were both credited with errors, and the Orioles ended up blowing out the Yankees anyway.

1. vapor54 - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:54 AM

O’s looked ugly early, but their bats keep sockin

2. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I don’t understand how a player “steals” home when he would have been out by a mile if not for the throw hitting him in the back of the head. I get the errors being charged, and I’ll even maybe give a stolen base to Headley (Although at that point isn’t it more defensive indifference?) I dunno, scoring decisions have to be made I suppose. In the end it all worked out.

• blacksables - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Scoring rules say you can’t assume the out.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM

How else could you score it? It can’t be a straight up error, since Beltran forced the issue by running home.

• blacksables - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Fair question, but I don’t know if there is a good answer.

Every unique event has to be labeled as something.

In Beltran’s case, it can only be a stolen base, an error, or a fielder’s choice.

Fielder’s choice doesn’t really apply.

Since it hit him in the helmet, they never call an error on that. The error was for allowing the Headly to advance, not Beltran.

Only thing you’re left with is stolen base.

A lot of people have been championing the idea of a team error, which might cover this situation.

• Bryz - Aug 12, 2014 at 3:11 PM

My thought is that since Beltran started coming home before the error, that’s why it’s a stolen base. The same exact thing would happen if a runner took off for 2nd, the catcher guns a throw that beats the runner by 5 steps, except the throw also was several feet over the infielder’s head and it goes straight into center field. Should the runner lose credit for a stolen base there, too?

• blacksables - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:49 PM

The issue on that is, Beltran never broke for the plate on the pitch, which is where stolen bases “usually” come from.

He only broke for the plate while a play was being made. I would actually see this more as a base advanced than a stolen base, but scoring rules don’t allow for that. So it has to be a stolen base.

I would also like to point out that I used quotation marks around usually, instead of writing it in all capital letters.

3. pisano - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:16 PM

The Yankees should have just keeped running off the field and went home. They’re looking like a high school team.

4. pisano - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Error: they have me so pissed that I couldn’t spell ” kept “

• theskinsman - Aug 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Pisano, at least your team has you upset toward the end of the season, instead of April. they aren’t out of it so far….

5. freedomofspeechyesway - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM

O’s fans have been spoiled by having a team with far and away the best defense in the Majors for the last two years. If a few errors are made on a really ugly play during an absolute massacre of a division opponent, I can live with that.

6. nvl004 - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I remember thinkin this is just like the Dang O’s. Play pretty good baseball all weekend, good baseball since the ASB, and then as soon as the Yanks come to town we forget how to play. Well glad to see it was simply an isolated boneheaded incident.

7. Detroit Michael - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Buck Showalter wants to add that to his collection of great Yankee/Oriole video clips for his gift to Derek Jeter.

8. sandwiches4ever - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM

The immediate cut to the manager\head coach\person in charge whenever something boneheaded happens in sports is always my favorite thing of any sports telecast anywhere.

It’s usually a mix of anger and confusion. Depending on how terrible said team is, there can be a sprinkle of resigned acceptance of the incompetence in there. It’s amazing.

9. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I knew something extraordinary must have happened when I saw that the Yankees put three runs on the board. That just doesn’t happen with these 2014 Yankees unless lightning strikes half of the opposing defense.

10. RickyB - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM

First mistake on the play was the first baseman throwing behind Beltran to third base instead of either running directly at him to get him to commit to a base or throwing home.

11. danaking - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Not that it mattered, but does anyone else wonder about the Yankee on-deck batter (#14) standing in the dirt around home plate at the end? Part of me wonders if that last throw home was a dribbler because whoever it was with the ball saw someone standing where they might be able to make a tag and realized too late to stop his throw it was a Yankee. Headley (not Heddy, Headley) scores anyway, but it seems 14 should have made himself scarce. I wonder what the ruling would have been had the ball hit him.

• blacksables - Aug 12, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Would have been interference. He has to stay clear. Came very close to it.

12. Eutaw's Finest - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM

FWIW, that was the Orioles first 2-error play since 2009. So yea, it was a bit overdue.

13. sophiethegreatdane - Aug 12, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Love. Baseball.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 13, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Love baseball or just loved it because it happened for your laundry?

Just kidding,I hope they make the post season.In a perfect scenario they win the WS but Angelos is stripped of the team around mid september because of the MASN mess,Loria is charged with horrific felonies including stomping kittens,(I kid) Selig is charged with gross incompetance,the whole D-backs team is charged with excessive grittiness and fired and and the next young guns are allowed to tear up the records from the 90’s.Like Trout chasing Bonds as the best overall player,Miggy chasing Ted for the next 400,Puig being the next Mantle,Kershaw being the next Koufax..etc.

We are TRULY entering the next “Golden Age” right now my friends,be happy you are alive to see it.We are now old men yelling at clouds and are about to say in MY day………..

• sophiethegreatdane - Aug 13, 2014 at 10:51 AM

>>Love baseball or just loved it because it happened for your laundry?

Hey slappy, it actually happened against my laundry. So, yes. Still. Love. Baseball.

14. moogro - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Norris deserved 2 errors. One for the throw away and one for the missed catch at home.

• pmpott - Aug 13, 2014 at 8:28 AM

In his defense, I’m not sure what the catcher was doing on that first throw. Should have been covering the plate.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3243)
  2. J. Kang (3099)
  3. C. McGehee (2810)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2789)
  5. J. Upton (2778)