Aug 12, 2014, 9:16 AM EST
It’s a lost season for the Rockies and now it’s pretty clearly a lost season for starter Brett Anderson.
Anderson will undergo season-ending surgery on Thursday to repair a disk in his lower back. It’s another frustrated season for Anderson, who always seems to pitch well — this year he had a 2.91 ERA over eight starts and as a career ERA+ of 112 — but just can’t stay on the field. He’s only pitched in as many as 20 games in a season one time: his rookie year in 2009.
The recovery time for his surgery is five months, so he should be ready to go by spring training. But the question is what team he’ll be playing for come spring training. The Rockies hold a $12 million team option on him and for a pitcher of his quality that’s not terrible. The question is whether they’re going to gamble that he’ll actually be able to pitch enough to make it worthwhile.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 272
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)