Felix Hernandez continues to be positively ridiculous

Aug 12, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT

Felix Hernandez AP

I’d even say redonkulous but I said that about someone last week and I should probably conserve my ammo in this regard. But do know this: Felix Hernandez is making hitters look silly. Sillier than he normally does, that is, which is pretty silly itself.

Last night Hernandez pitched circles around the Blue Jays, allowing one run on three hits and striking out eight Jays batters. It was his 16th consecutive start with at least seven innings pitched and two or fewer runs allowed. That’s a record he is continuing to extend. Which, it’s worth noting, was previously held by Chief Bender of all of people. In that 16-start span he is 8-2 with a 1.41 ERA and 134 strikeouts.

Last week I mused about whether a pitcher could or should win the MVP in the National League. While I think that’s far less reasonable an option in the AL, I assume no small amount of people will be thinking along those lines with respect to Hernandez pretty soon. Especially if the Mariners make the playoffs.

1. therealbigben - Aug 12, 2014 at 9:04 AM

All hail the King!!

2. chill1184 - Aug 12, 2014 at 9:04 AM

King Felix is one you dont want to face in the deathmatch game

3. southpaw2k - Aug 12, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Imagine for a moment that the AL Wild Card game is Detroit/Seattle. Scherzer or Price vs King Felix.

Get our your popcorn, kids. We might have an instant classic on our hands.

4. miguelcairo - Aug 12, 2014 at 9:40 AM

AND IT WAS DONE BYTHE KING!

5. proudlycanadian - Aug 12, 2014 at 10:19 AM

He is a great pitcher especially when he is facing a team that played 19 innings the day before and then had to take a flight across the continent.

• tearlw - Aug 12, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Yeah, just like the previous 15 teams he had quality starts against. Oh, wait…

• willgiersch - Aug 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM

So you’re saying that has been the case in each of his past 16 starts?

• proudlycanadian - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM

With regard to his previous starts I wrote “He is a great pitcher…”

• tearlw - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Yeah, it’s the “especially when…” part where we recognize the bitter cynicism of a backhanded compliment. We are baseball fans after all.
        Anyway, nice try at trolling. I see you read Craig’s article. Kudos.

• cchicane - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Like Seattle and their fans don’t have any experience with extra innings and/or travel fatigue?

• proudlycanadian - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I did not write about Seattle and their fans. When Craig makes a poorly thought out comment that does not reflect well on the Jays, I will defend them.

By the way, what % of the fans at last night’s game were Jays fans compared to the percentage of Seattle fans? When the Jays visit Seattle attendance goes up as thousands of Canadians go south to watch the Jays.

• cmp78 - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Sorry, proudlycanadian, but what was the poorly thought out comment? That he pitched circles around them? Maybe a small note should have been made about what time they got in (2:30 am PST), but Felix was facing a group that was slashing .248/.291/.365 lifetime against him. This shouldn’t have been completely unexpected.

Maybe I’m missing your point about Jays fans compared to Seattle fans (which is a slippery slope discussion). Of course they’re going to go to Seattle, it’s easier and cheaper than flying cross-country. I think their presence makes what Felix did even more impressive, because he was basically throwing in front of, at best, a neutral crowd.

• cchicane - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM

From Divish’s write up at the Times-

But on this night with a packed house of 41,168 – almost 60 percent Blue Jays fans – turning Safeco electric with energy, only one team played like a postseason caliber squad.

Sigh… More than a few were coworkers who turn sides for the Jays and every year I have to explain to my mom why so many fans are in blue for this series and why I5 is more awful than usual. I am sorry both Lawrie and Saunders have to miss it and I wish Paxton was getting a start.

Paxton quote from Shannon Drayer’s blog-

“I was a Mariners guy,” he said in his interview for the pregame show. “I was always a huge Randy Johnson fan so that pulled me toward the Mariners, but I am trying to turn the Vancouver crowd of Toronto Blue Jays fans into Seattle Mariners fans. Give it some time and I think we (he and fellow Canadian Michael Saunders) will make it happen.”

I think that’s already true except when the Jays come to town. The atmosphere at work is basically on par with Apple Cup weekend. Fun.

6. Black Dog - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM

No chance of a Seattle-Detroit death match — the Oakland -Anaheim loser will be in that game. Which makes winning the Western division doubly important. Imagine winning 95 games, yet you need to beat King Felix In a win-or-go-home game.
    High drama and tough sledding.

• southpaw2k - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Normally I’d agree there’s no chance of it, but recall the Braves and Red Sox in 2011 with each team’s epic collapse in September. They had each managed to fall out of the playoffs on the very last day of the season. It’s not so crazy to think the Angels couldn’t pull off the same, especially with the way they’ve been playing the last week or so.

7. gnrfan8804 - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Theres a lot of baseball left. Anything can happen. I think i heard oaklands been struggling on the road lately. The angels lead at the top WC spot has shrunken by a few games recently. The Mariners, whom im rooting for, have been very up and down. 7-game losing streak in april, 18-10 june, 11-14 july. The damn yankees wont go away and the tigers are on a horrible stretch. Theres no guarantee who were gonna see on the WC game, but the next month and a half should be fun to watch

8. rawdog2013 - Aug 12, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Seattle is still 9 games back. That’s a lot of ground to make up.

Back to the point – I would not want to face King Felix in the regular season or post season. Every time we (A’s) play him I’m like “here we go, again”

What’s up proudlycanadian. Good to hear from you.

9. 461deep - Aug 12, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Looks like another Cy Young for King Felix. MVP Trout with A. Jones, Cano, fMiggy, Donaldson getting some votes. Papi Gardner, Ellsbury may get some to.

10. fearthehoody - Aug 12, 2014 at 9:26 PM

All hail the King! 2014 Cy Young and AL MVP winner!

11. sportsfan18 - Aug 13, 2014 at 9:03 AM

First, I don’t think pitchers should be the MVP’s of the league. That’s what the Cy Young is for.

But, since writers can and do vote for pitchers as MVP’s…

Let’s review recent history.

2011 Justin Verlander MVP

2.40 ERA

ERA+ 172

251 innings pitched

24 & 5

0.920 WHIP

King Felix (so far this season)

1.95 ERA much better than Justin

191 ERA+ much better than Justin

13 & 3 won’t get to 24 wins or even 20 actually, winning percentage is close but more games to go yet this year.

0.860 WHIP

So, Felix could end up with a much better ERA, ERA+ and WHIP and a similar winning percentage as Justin and yet I don’t think Felix or any pitcher is going to win the A.L. MVP this season.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic