Aug 12, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Astros outfielder George Springer was supposed to return soon from a quadriceps injury, but the rookie slugger suffered a setback during his minor-league rehab assignment and now Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports that he’ll miss two more weeks.
Springer has been out since July 19, bringing to a halt an impressive rookie campaign in which the 24-year-old got off to a slow start and then smacked 20 homers in the span of 59 games.
In his absence the Astros have used Robbie Grossman as their primary right fielder and he’s gotten on base at a .390 clip despite not hitting much overall.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 13
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 24
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)