Aug 12, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Padres shortstop Everth Cabrera spent a month on the disabled list with a strained hamstring, played 10 games for San Diego, and is now headed back to the shelf with more hamstring problems.
Alexi Amarista subbed for Cabrera the first time around, so he figures to be the primary shortstop again now. He’s not much of a hitter, batting .231 with a .612 OPS for his career, but then again Cabrera is hitting just .232 with a .572 OPS this season after posting a career-high .736 OPS last season and hasn’t been his usual dangerous self as a base-runner.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)