Rays minor leaguer Josh Sale is suspended. Again.

Aug 12, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Josh Sale

When I saw this press release — it said “Tampa Bay’s Sale Suspended” — I said to myself “wait, who is buying the Rays? I didn’t know they were on the market.” Then it all became clear:

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Tampa Bay Rays Minor League outfielder Joshua Sale has received a 50-game suspension without pay after a second positive test for a drug of abuse in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.  The suspension of Sale, who is currently on the roster of the Single-A Charlotte Stone Crabs of the Florida State League.

You may remember Josh Sale from such films as “I verbally berated and humiliated a stripper and thought that was something to brag about” and “I received a 50-game suspension in 2012 for testing positive for meth.” I remember him from an evaluator familiar with Sale once telling me that he was perhaps the single most immature prospect he has ever seen.

Seems like things are going just great for the guy who was the 17th overall pick in the 2010 draft. He’s doing great things to help make all that he can out of his career. All on top of a 2014 line of .238/.313/.344 as a 22-year-old at high-A ball.

1. doctorofsmuganomics - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:02 PM

““I received a 50-game suspension in 2012 for testing positive for meth.”

I still say he deserved an oscar for that role

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:16 PM

(SFW)

• mholden10 - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM

It was blocked at work, no i see it (Rosebud right)

• indaburg - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:27 PM

He is currently auditioning for the role of the world’s worst superhero, Florida Man.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I don’t know, I think Aquaman might give him a run for his money

• indaburg - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Aquaman sucks, but does he crash his car drunk into a retirement home wearing nothing but women’s underwear? Does he beat his girlfriend for cheating on him in his dreams? Does Aquaman go on breast pump robbing sprees? Florida Man does.

• raysfan1 - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:14 PM

No, “Florida Man” insults too many of us innocent males. How about Super Schmuck?

• indaburg - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I don’t mean to insult the innocent ones. There are many good men out there, but there is only one Florida Man and he knows who he is.

(I can’t take credit: https://mobile.twitter.com/_FloridaMan/tweets)

• raysfan1 - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Ah. I don’t do Twitter, so I never saw that. I get it now.

2. connormyboy - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:13 PM

another draft flop.

3. mholden10 - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I think the best thing that can happen to him is to be dropped from MLB. He thinks he’s better than the rest. He needs a slap in the face and get a real J O B.

• raysfan1 - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Should be booted from MiLB. The only way he will ever see a MLB field is by buying a ticket.
      I second your sentiment.

4. El Bravo - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:19 PM

He’ll never hit a ball well if he keeps looking at the camera instead of the ball.

• pbastille - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I was going to say that!

• yahmule - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:38 PM

15 minutes late for your 15 minutes of fame. Ain’t that a pisser?

5. paul621 - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:25 PM

It’s irritating that the link just takes you to another post referencing the “bragging,” and you have to click through to another link to actually read about what he did.

6. chip56 - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Hard drugs and abuse of women…sounds about right for an organization that drafted:
    Delmon Young
    Elijah Dukes
    Josh Hamilton
    and The Rapist Josh Lueke

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Don’t forget Toe Nash, and Matt Bush.

And didn’t they have like 5 minor leaguers suspended for meth?

There’s been a LOT of problem players in their system.

• indaburg - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Matt Bush was actually drafted #1 in 2004 by the San Diego Padres.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I wasn’t just talking about drafted players.

I know he was, I just didn’t think it was important enough to clarify.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:45 PM

FWIW, Nash also wasn’t drafted.

• indaburg - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Well, you expanded on chip56’s “organization that drafted:” by saying “don’t forget.” Getting it clear is important. We don’t draft all the aholes. We trade for some of them.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Haha.

No, I get why you thought that’s what I meant. It was a conscious decision to not clarify it because I didn’t really expect anyone to be that detail oriented in reading it and I was being lazy. It’s also why I didn’t bother to correct him about Lueke. Just didn’t think it was important enough.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Lueke was drafted by Texas

• Paper Lions - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Lueke was actually drafted by the Rangers (pre-rape). Both the Mariners and Tampa traded for him knowing he was a rapist.

• historiophiliac - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:12 PM

So you’re saying Texas turned him?

• Paper Lions - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Nope. In the light of the report by Dirk a couple of weeks ago….I think knowing who the rapists are in organizations may be kind of like knowing who the PED users are. You only have confirmations of those that got caught, and the odds are they are just the tip of the iceberg of a wide-spread systemic problem.

Man, that is depressing…wish it wasn’t most likely true.

• historiophiliac - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Wow, thanks for making my Tuesday, man. Cheers.

• Paper Lions - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Yeah, sorry about that….have some olives.

• historiophiliac - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:21 PM

I need like 50 with this haircut. :(

• Paper Lions - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Well, you could always start wearing hats.

• historiophiliac - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:31 PM

It won’t be so bad once they even the bottom. :(

7. sdelmonte - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Why does he still have a job in baseball?

8. historiophiliac - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:29 PM

More like “Stoned Crabs,” amirite?

9. pjmitch - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Can only imagine the news report we will read on him 5 years form now.

• historiophiliac - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I like your optimism. If he can’t beat the meth, there’s a significant chance he doesn’t make it 5 years.

• uwsptke - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Let’s all hope he avoids the Matt Bush off-field career arc.

10. tfbuckfutter - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:37 PM

The Rays really need to do a better job of vetting their players.

Awful lot of buttholes running through that system.

• historiophiliac - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I don’t know how you don’t feel creepy every time you go to one of their games.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:42 PM

A lot of hot girls wear tank tops so I spend most of the game distracted.

• historiophiliac - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Easy there, inmate.

• indaburg - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Why thank you tf! Everyone knows there aren’t lots of girls at the Trop. It’s basically just me and some old guys.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:34 PM

No way.

I always see lots of good looking women there.

And a lot of….umm….ones who have spent too much time at the cut-rate plastic surgeons around the area as well.

Mind you, I don’t make it a habit of going to 4:00 Tuesday games against the Astros though.

• indaburg - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:38 PM

I don’t go to 4pm games against the Astros either. I work. But according to everyone, no one goes to Rays games ever.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Is the parking lot filled up with golf carts?That is how i like to imagine it.

• indaburg - Aug 14, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Mostly motorized scooters.

11. 4cornersfan - Aug 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Apropos of absolutely nothing in this blog, I was tuned to Fox 1 for the Man U game and afterward
    Colin Cowherd came on. In a rant about whether a sports figure has to be a nice guy he said that Bill Parcell was a “conciliatory” figure (I think he meant the opposite) and that the result of Lady GaGa singing in a meat suit was “great music” out of a meat suit.
    I am here alone and had to tell somebody. Holding this in could be dangerous to health. I am blocking Fox 1.

• blacksables - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:54 PM

What’s a Manu?

12. indaburg - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I hope this is the last we ever hear of Chris Sale on a baseball blog. I hope the Rays come to their senses and cut this guy.

• historiophiliac - Aug 12, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Psst. Josh. Josh Sale. Chris you’ll probably hear lots more about.

• indaburg - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Lol ooops.

I’m really, really tired. My bad.

• historiophiliac - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Frankly, I usually hate hearing about Chris Sale too.

• indaburg - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Although… Chris Sale knows what did. /evil eye

• doctorofsmuganomics - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I second the motion for ousting Chris Sale from baseball.

I have no ulterior motives whatsoever

• indaburg - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Yeah, pitching all good with that four seamer and talking fancy words like “juxtapose” and “antithetic.” Who does that Chris Sale think he is? He was born in Florida too. Very suspicious.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:53 PM

But how does he use those words?

Like….”I’d like to see her juxtapose” and “That stripper was anTIThetic. They point in different directions.”

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Aww crap. I got confused about which Sale we were talking about too.

Because I’m dumb.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:16 PM

@ Indaburg .

Maybe he is over compensating,maybe he is even Florida Man in disquise.

• raysfan1 - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Has any claimed the domain name FireSale.com?

• indaburg - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Dumpjoshsale.com is probably available.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:19 PM

@Indaburg.

I checked and the error code said the server is down,hmmmn I wonder why.

13. Wesley Clark - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:05 PM

He seems like a great guy. What organization wouldn’t want a 22 year old, with a slightly checkered past, that can’t really hit A Ball pitching?

14. echech88 - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:29 PM

For as good as their front office is as certain things, they have pretty much bombed the top of the draft ever since they became a competitive team.

With the exception of no-brainers like Longoria and Price, they miss a lot.

• Kevin S. - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Given where the Rays have been picking, it’s not like you’d expect a ton of hits. Beckham is the one that really hurts, though.

15. bbk1000 - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:48 PM

A drug of abuse….nice.

The shirt he has on…does it have roids written across the front?

• cshearing - Aug 13, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Probably not. It was meth last time.

• bbk1000 - Aug 13, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I must be getting old…I expected coke….

16. sanzarq - Aug 12, 2014 at 6:58 PM

There’s gotta be a toll booth somewhere with an open mid-day shift that this germ can fill (…er, uh…I mean apply for).

17. genericcommenter - Aug 12, 2014 at 7:00 PM

$1.62 Million

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:23 PM

$1.62 Million gone to his dealers,probably not allowed in strip clubs anymore.

18. irishlad19 - Aug 12, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Sad to see a talented young man overcome by immaturity and substance abuse.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:45 PM

I wrote a reply earlier,so if it comes up later I apoligise in advance.

To sum it up.I am glad this bro is soon to be a worker drone in the VERY near future,He had all the talent that I lack,but none of the humility. I gave up the dream at about 19 years old and joined the Army instead.Been working boring jobs ever since.Screw him.Cleaning up vomit in walmart is too good for him.

No Fu%&’s are given.

• 76ersdoubletank - Aug 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Becuase substance abuse isn’t a problem? Maybe this guy has a legit “problem”, that he needs to work on. Now if he can’t or does not want help, that is another issue.

You should probably work on your jealousy and hypocrisy.

19. icee82 - Aug 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I think with the budget the Rays have, they are willing to take on these potential issues. If their demons can be exorcised, they could potentially become stars. See Josh Hamilton.

• genericcommenter - Aug 13, 2014 at 2:25 AM

Josh Hamilton could actually play, though. He was tearing up Single A when he was 19, not struggling to perform when he was 23.

20. sportsfan18 - Aug 12, 2014 at 8:37 PM

WHY is he still a member of their organization?

• sportsfan18 - Aug 12, 2014 at 8:38 PM

he wishes he had a 10 cent brain…

with a dime one would get a lot of change back with him…

2 cent brain…

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 12, 2014 at 11:55 PM

2 cent brain and a 1.62 mil.contract,go figure.

Aproppos of nothing,have you been indulging in adult beverages? I have been and I knew what you meant but then again I have been drinking adult beverages.I thought you might have been using the old canard of only using 10% of your brain then I thought I should just post my incoherant thoughts randomly and then maybe I woll get the acceptance I so desperately NEED.Ben Franklin was right,God does indeed love me.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3500)