Aug 12, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
When I saw this press release — it said “Tampa Bay’s Sale Suspended” — I said to myself “wait, who is buying the Rays? I didn’t know they were on the market.” Then it all became clear:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Tampa Bay Rays Minor League outfielder Joshua Sale has received a 50-game suspension without pay after a second positive test for a drug of abuse in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The suspension of Sale, who is currently on the roster of the Single-A Charlotte Stone Crabs of the Florida State League.
You may remember Josh Sale from such films as “I verbally berated and humiliated a stripper and thought that was something to brag about” and “I received a 50-game suspension in 2012 for testing positive for meth.” I remember him from an evaluator familiar with Sale once telling me that he was perhaps the single most immature prospect he has ever seen.
Seems like things are going just great for the guy who was the 17th overall pick in the 2010 draft. He’s doing great things to help make all that he can out of his career. All on top of a 2014 line of .238/.313/.344 as a 22-year-old at high-A ball.
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 0
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 8
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 28
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 45
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)