Aug 12, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
When I saw this press release — it said “Tampa Bay’s Sale Suspended” — I said to myself “wait, who is buying the Rays? I didn’t know they were on the market.” Then it all became clear:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Tampa Bay Rays Minor League outfielder Joshua Sale has received a 50-game suspension without pay after a second positive test for a drug of abuse in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The suspension of Sale, who is currently on the roster of the Single-A Charlotte Stone Crabs of the Florida State League.
You may remember Josh Sale from such films as “I verbally berated and humiliated a stripper and thought that was something to brag about” and “I received a 50-game suspension in 2012 for testing positive for meth.” I remember him from an evaluator familiar with Sale once telling me that he was perhaps the single most immature prospect he has ever seen.
Seems like things are going just great for the guy who was the 17th overall pick in the 2010 draft. He’s doing great things to help make all that he can out of his career. All on top of a 2014 line of .238/.313/.344 as a 22-year-old at high-A ball.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 170
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (172)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)