Aug 12, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Twins center fielder Byron Buxton was slated to begin this season at Double-A and perhaps be knocking on the door to the majors right now, but instead the consensus No. 1 prospect in baseball missed the first two-plus months of the year with a spring training wrist injury.
When he finally returned from the disabled list the Twins decided to send Buxton back to high Single-A, where he dominated at the end of last season by hitting .326 as a teenager. But this time around he got off to a slow start there, caught fire for a couple weeks, and then struggled again lately.
Overall he hit .240 with a .718 OPS and 33 strikeouts in 30 games, but the Twins have decided Buxton is ready for Double-A. He’s been promoted to the Eastern League four months before his 21st birthday and will finish the season playing for a New Britain team on which the average player is 25.5 years old.
Buxton is still viewed as the best prospect in baseball by most prominent sources and remains on track for stardom, but the wrist injury cost him a bunch of development time and probably erased whatever chance he had of debuting for the Twins this season as a 20-year-old.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)