Aug 13, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
From the New York Times, handicapping tomorrow’s vote for the next commissioner:
[Tom] Werner has the support of Jerry Reinsdorf, the owner of the Chicago White Sox, and Arte Moreno, the Los Angeles Angels’ owner, who believe that Manfred has given too many concessions to the players union and want the next commissioner to be more confrontational.
Getting tough with the players? The last time that was the stated goal of baseball owners the strike happened. Since there has been greater cooperation between the union and the owners, revenues have skyrocketed, the players’ share of revenue has fallen from close to 50% to closer to 40% and, left to its own devices, the union has been weakened and, time and again, has given away rights without getting an equal return. Think drug testing and penalties, the caps on amateur and international signing bonuses and draft pick compensation getting tied to free agency.
Why, against that backdrop, some owners want to return to what they were doing from the 1960s through the 1990s and take on the union in a “confrontational” way is beyond me. The only thing that could unite the MLBPA in the way it was united a decade or two ago is to attack it. I guess some people want to do that. I guess some people don’t learn from history.
It’s gonna take quite a guy to make Bud Selig look like some jiu-jitsu master. But it looks like those who are backing Tom Werner are going to give it a shot.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 52
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 20
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 51
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)