Aug 13, 2014, 11:34 PM EDT
McCann was cleared to resume baseball activities Tuesday after passing another concussion test. He has been on the 7-day disabled list since August 9.
The Yankees — currently 2 1/2 games back of an American League Wild Card spot — need McCann to be much more productive down the stretch in his first year of a five-year, $85 million free agent contract.
McCann, 30, has batted just .238/.294/.384 with 13 home runs and 49 RBI through 103 games this season for New York.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 0
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 19
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)