Aug 13, 2014, 11:34 PM EST
McCann was cleared to resume baseball activities Tuesday after passing another concussion test. He has been on the 7-day disabled list since August 9.
The Yankees — currently 2 1/2 games back of an American League Wild Card spot — need McCann to be much more productive down the stretch in his first year of a five-year, $85 million free agent contract.
McCann, 30, has batted just .238/.294/.384 with 13 home runs and 49 RBI through 103 games this season for New York.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)