Aug 13, 2014, 11:34 PM EDT
McCann was cleared to resume baseball activities Tuesday after passing another concussion test. He has been on the 7-day disabled list since August 9.
The Yankees — currently 2 1/2 games back of an American League Wild Card spot — need McCann to be much more productive down the stretch in his first year of a five-year, $85 million free agent contract.
McCann, 30, has batted just .238/.294/.384 with 13 home runs and 49 RBI through 103 games this season for New York.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)