Aug 13, 2014, 11:34 PM EDT
McCann was cleared to resume baseball activities Tuesday after passing another concussion test. He has been on the 7-day disabled list since August 9.
The Yankees — currently 2 1/2 games back of an American League Wild Card spot — need McCann to be much more productive down the stretch in his first year of a five-year, $85 million free agent contract.
McCann, 30, has batted just .238/.294/.384 with 13 home runs and 49 RBI through 103 games this season for New York.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a manager (148)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- First-ever female baseball player added to MLB’s international registration list (104)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)