Aug 13, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
Twins outfield prospect Byron Buxton, rated by most outlets as the most promising young talent in baseball, was promoted this week from High-A Fort Myers to Double-A New Britain. But he apparently suffered a major injury in his first game Wednesday evening with the New Britain Rock Cats …
— MiLB.com (@MiLB) August 14, 2014
There’s been no status update yet from the Rock Cats. Buxton was the second overall pick in the 2012 MLB Amateur Draft out of a Georgia high school and has hit .301/.390/.487 in 203 career minor league games.
UPDATE, 10:21 p.m. ET: Via Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press …
Twins vice president of player personnel Mike Radcliff told the Pioneer Press he’d been told Buxton “was responsive after the collision.” That knowledge was second-hand, Radcliff stressed, saying that it had come from one of Buxton’s agents.
UPDATE, 10:33 p.m. ET: New information here from Yahoo’s Jeff Passan …
Source: Byron Buxton has no broken bones, CT scan came back negative after his nasty outfield crash tonight. Being treated for concussion.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) August 14, 2014
Buxton was unconscious for 10 minutes on the field after collision. Came to in the ambulance, where Twins GM Terry Ryan was riding with him.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) August 14, 2014
May 22, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
But Major League Baseball’s silliness about these kinds of infractions, however, will continue on unabated.
Quote of the Day: Freddie Freeman inadvertently illustrates the silliness of the foreign substance rules
May 22, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
Paraphrased: “Smith should be way less obvious about the fact that he’s trying to keep us safe!”
May 22, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Travis has been a huge bright spot for Toronto this season.
May 22, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
At least that’s what Molly Knight reports from Japan, and I’m inclined to agree.
May 22, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Mujica actually managed to pick up the ball and make a throw to first base for the out.
May 22, 2015, 8:46 AM EDT
Everyone does it and no one cares. Until someone does.
May 22, 2015, 7:19 AM EDT
The Giants own the Dodgers at AT&T Park. And the Madison Bumgarner owned Clayton Kershaw. At least yesterday.
May 21, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
The Cubs are reportedly one of several teams who have looked into signing Soriano.
May 21, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
Coco Crisp left Tuesday’s game with tightness in his neck and it sounds like he’s going to need to miss some time.
May 21, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
The Phillies have reportedly talked to the Angels about a deal involving Revere.
May 21, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
Brewers reliever Will Smith was ejected from Thursday’s game against the Braves in the bottom of the seventh inning after he was found to have a foreign substance on his non-throwing arm.
May 21, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
Masahiro Tanaka took his first step toward rejoining the Yankees rotation tonight by tossing three scoreless innings in a minor league rehab start with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
May 21, 2015, 8:01 PM EDT
Howard homered in back-to-back games at Coors Field and is now up to nine home runs on the season.
May 21, 2015, 7:12 PM EDT
Yan Gomes has been sidelined since April 11 due to an MCL sprain in his right knee.
May 21, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Back in 2013 the Dodgers signed Arruebarrena to a five-year, $25 million deal.
May 21, 2015, 6:18 PM EDT
Victorino is dealing with general soreness which is “centralized somewhat” in his left calf.
May 21, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
Ace vs. Ace. Advantage: Bumgarner.
May 21, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
He struck out 11 dudes in eight shutout innings.
May 21, 2015, 2:38 PM EDT
Can you blame them?
May 21, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 1
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 74
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)