Aug 13, 2014, 8:18 AM EST
When I lived in Northern Virginia it was a miracle if you could get your car up to 55 m.p.h. anywhere in Fairfax County thanks to all the dumb traffic. Jayson Werth must know routes I didn’t know. Because according to Nats Enquirer, Werth was pulled over in early July and charged with reckless driving for going 105 mph in a 55-mph zone. He has a court date in November.
We never heard anything about it at the time, but Nats Enquirer found it by searching Fairfax County records. Putting lie to two cliches: (a) that bloggers don’t do journalism; and (b) only hot-headed, untamed horses who need to grow up and respect the game drive recklessly. Maybe those guys were just doing it wrong by driving 100 m.p.h. on straight roads with 65-70 m.p.h. speed limits in sparsely-populated rural areas. Maybe it’s better to do it in one of the most congested areas in the country.
In any event, anyone who got on Aroldis Chapman and Yasiel Puig‘s case for their high-speed driving, wringing their hands about their lack of maturity, please call your editor. You have a column to write.
In other news, we should have seen this coming. Werth has always had trouble with stuff around 55:
(HUGE hat tip to Ulreh Vogt for that video. I almost spit out my coffee when he tweeted that)
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)