Aug 13, 2014, 8:18 AM EDT
When I lived in Northern Virginia it was a miracle if you could get your car up to 55 m.p.h. anywhere in Fairfax County thanks to all the dumb traffic. Jayson Werth must know routes I didn’t know. Because according to Nats Enquirer, Werth was pulled over in early July and charged with reckless driving for going 105 mph in a 55-mph zone. He has a court date in November.
We never heard anything about it at the time, but Nats Enquirer found it by searching Fairfax County records. Putting lie to two cliches: (a) that bloggers don’t do journalism; and (b) only hot-headed, untamed horses who need to grow up and respect the game drive recklessly. Maybe those guys were just doing it wrong by driving 100 m.p.h. on straight roads with 65-70 m.p.h. speed limits in sparsely-populated rural areas. Maybe it’s better to do it in one of the most congested areas in the country.
In any event, anyone who got on Aroldis Chapman and Yasiel Puig‘s case for their high-speed driving, wringing their hands about their lack of maturity, please call your editor. You have a column to write.
In other news, we should have seen this coming. Werth has always had trouble with stuff around 55:
(HUGE hat tip to Ulreh Vogt for that video. I almost spit out my coffee when he tweeted that)
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 21
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)