Aug 13, 2014, 8:18 AM EST
When I lived in Northern Virginia it was a miracle if you could get your car up to 55 m.p.h. anywhere in Fairfax County thanks to all the dumb traffic. Jayson Werth must know routes I didn’t know. Because according to Nats Enquirer, Werth was pulled over in early July and charged with reckless driving for going 105 mph in a 55-mph zone. He has a court date in November.
We never heard anything about it at the time, but Nats Enquirer found it by searching Fairfax County records. Putting lie to two cliches: (a) that bloggers don’t do journalism; and (b) only hot-headed, untamed horses who need to grow up and respect the game drive recklessly. Maybe those guys were just doing it wrong by driving 100 m.p.h. on straight roads with 65-70 m.p.h. speed limits in sparsely-populated rural areas. Maybe it’s better to do it in one of the most congested areas in the country.
In any event, anyone who got on Aroldis Chapman and Yasiel Puig‘s case for their high-speed driving, wringing their hands about their lack of maturity, please call your editor. You have a column to write.
In other news, we should have seen this coming. Werth has always had trouble with stuff around 55:
(HUGE hat tip to Ulreh Vogt for that video. I almost spit out my coffee when he tweeted that)
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)