Aug 13, 2014, 8:18 AM EDT
When I lived in Northern Virginia it was a miracle if you could get your car up to 55 m.p.h. anywhere in Fairfax County thanks to all the dumb traffic. Jayson Werth must know routes I didn’t know. Because according to Nats Enquirer, Werth was pulled over in early July and charged with reckless driving for going 105 mph in a 55-mph zone. He has a court date in November.
We never heard anything about it at the time, but Nats Enquirer found it by searching Fairfax County records. Putting lie to two cliches: (a) that bloggers don’t do journalism; and (b) only hot-headed, untamed horses who need to grow up and respect the game drive recklessly. Maybe those guys were just doing it wrong by driving 100 m.p.h. on straight roads with 65-70 m.p.h. speed limits in sparsely-populated rural areas. Maybe it’s better to do it in one of the most congested areas in the country.
In any event, anyone who got on Aroldis Chapman and Yasiel Puig‘s case for their high-speed driving, wringing their hands about their lack of maturity, please call your editor. You have a column to write.
In other news, we should have seen this coming. Werth has always had trouble with stuff around 55:
(HUGE hat tip to Ulreh Vogt for that video. I almost spit out my coffee when he tweeted that)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 29
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 14
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 24
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (207)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)