Aug 13, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Joe Kelly made his second start for the Red Sox last night after coming over from the Cardinals at the trade deadline, tossing six innings of two-run ball against the Reds.
He also went 1-for-2 at the plate and then did something on the bases that no Red Sox pitcher has done since 1969: Kelly stole a base.
And it was third base, too.
Kelly singled to center field off Mat Latos in the third inning, got bunted over to second base by Brock Holt, and then swiped third base without a throw while the unsuspecting Reds were walking Dustin Pedroia on four pitches.
The last Red Sox pitcher to steal a base? Bill Landis on September 8, 1969.
The last Red Sox pitcher to steal third base? Tom Brewer on July 30, 1959.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)