Aug 13, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Joe Kelly made his second start for the Red Sox last night after coming over from the Cardinals at the trade deadline, tossing six innings of two-run ball against the Reds.
He also went 1-for-2 at the plate and then did something on the bases that no Red Sox pitcher has done since 1969: Kelly stole a base.
And it was third base, too.
Kelly singled to center field off Mat Latos in the third inning, got bunted over to second base by Brock Holt, and then swiped third base without a throw while the unsuspecting Reds were walking Dustin Pedroia on four pitches.
The last Red Sox pitcher to steal a base? Bill Landis on September 8, 1969.
The last Red Sox pitcher to steal third base? Tom Brewer on July 30, 1959.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 16
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 179
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 103
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (200)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)