Aug 13, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
After coming over from the Astros at the trade deadline Jarred Cosart tweaked his back while swinging and running out an infield single in his Marlins debut on August 1, so when he returned to the mound last night 11 days later manager Mike Redmond had specific instructions: Don’t swing the bat.
Redmond wanted to make sure the 24-year-old right-hander wouldn’t aggravate the back injury while at the plate, so Cosart struck out looking on five pitches in his first at-bat and struck out looking on three pitches in his second at-bat, never taking the bat off his shoulder.
“I didn’t want him taking any swings that were going to hurt him,” Redmond told Joe Frisaro of MLB.com. “Had we had him in a situation where we needed to score a run, we probably would have had to hit for him, knowing he hadn’t taken any swings. Fortunately, we didn’t get in that situation.”
The plan worked, too, as Cosart tossed seven shutout innings against Adam Wainwright in a Marlins victory over the Cardinals. And two of the Marlins’ three runs came when No. 8 hitter Donovan Solano homered off Wainwright with a base open that could have been used to walk him before pitching to the non-swinging Cosart.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 46
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)