Aug 13, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
After coming over from the Astros at the trade deadline Jarred Cosart tweaked his back while swinging and running out an infield single in his Marlins debut on August 1, so when he returned to the mound last night 11 days later manager Mike Redmond had specific instructions: Don’t swing the bat.
Redmond wanted to make sure the 24-year-old right-hander wouldn’t aggravate the back injury while at the plate, so Cosart struck out looking on five pitches in his first at-bat and struck out looking on three pitches in his second at-bat, never taking the bat off his shoulder.
“I didn’t want him taking any swings that were going to hurt him,” Redmond told Joe Frisaro of MLB.com. “Had we had him in a situation where we needed to score a run, we probably would have had to hit for him, knowing he hadn’t taken any swings. Fortunately, we didn’t get in that situation.”
The plan worked, too, as Cosart tossed seven shutout innings against Adam Wainwright in a Marlins victory over the Cardinals. And two of the Marlins’ three runs came when No. 8 hitter Donovan Solano homered off Wainwright with a base open that could have been used to walk him before pitching to the non-swinging Cosart.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 5
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)