Aug 13, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
White Sox outfielder Avisail Garcia was expected to miss the entire season when he suffered a torn left labrum in early April, but now it looks like he might be back in the lineup as soon as next week.
Garcia is currently on a minor-league rehab assignment at Triple-A, where he’s hit .368 in 10 games so far. General manager Rick Hahn called Garcia’s quicker-than-expected recovery “found money” and also told Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com:
His body has held up. He has made certain plays in the outfield the last few days that have forced him to let it go a little bit. There’s been no setbacks. We don’t have a magic number or magic performance level in mind that he has to hit, it’s more a matter of day in and day out seeing consistent performance and physically feeling strong. So far it has gone well and hopefully we’re coming to an end of it in several days or a week or so.
Before the injury Garcia hit .287 with a decent .734 OPS through 103 career games, which is plenty impressive considering he just turned 23 years old in June. If healthy the White Sox think he can be a long-term building block in a corner outfield spot after acquiring him last season from the Tigers in the trade for Jake Peavy.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 39
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 53
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)