Aug 13, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
White Sox outfielder Avisail Garcia was expected to miss the entire season when he suffered a torn left labrum in early April, but now it looks like he might be back in the lineup as soon as next week.
Garcia is currently on a minor-league rehab assignment at Triple-A, where he’s hit .368 in 10 games so far. General manager Rick Hahn called Garcia’s quicker-than-expected recovery “found money” and also told Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com:
His body has held up. He has made certain plays in the outfield the last few days that have forced him to let it go a little bit. There’s been no setbacks. We don’t have a magic number or magic performance level in mind that he has to hit, it’s more a matter of day in and day out seeing consistent performance and physically feeling strong. So far it has gone well and hopefully we’re coming to an end of it in several days or a week or so.
Before the injury Garcia hit .287 with a decent .734 OPS through 103 career games, which is plenty impressive considering he just turned 23 years old in June. If healthy the White Sox think he can be a long-term building block in a corner outfield spot after acquiring him last season from the Tigers in the trade for Jake Peavy.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 0
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 53
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)