Aug 13, 2014, 2:28 PM EST
White Sox outfielder Avisail Garcia was expected to miss the entire season when he suffered a torn left labrum in early April, but now it looks like he might be back in the lineup as soon as next week.
Garcia is currently on a minor-league rehab assignment at Triple-A, where he’s hit .368 in 10 games so far. General manager Rick Hahn called Garcia’s quicker-than-expected recovery “found money” and also told Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com:
His body has held up. He has made certain plays in the outfield the last few days that have forced him to let it go a little bit. There’s been no setbacks. We don’t have a magic number or magic performance level in mind that he has to hit, it’s more a matter of day in and day out seeing consistent performance and physically feeling strong. So far it has gone well and hopefully we’re coming to an end of it in several days or a week or so.
Before the injury Garcia hit .287 with a decent .734 OPS through 103 career games, which is plenty impressive considering he just turned 23 years old in June. If healthy the White Sox think he can be a long-term building block in a corner outfield spot after acquiring him last season from the Tigers in the trade for Jake Peavy.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)