Aug 13, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
As expected the Orioles have placed third baseman Manny Machado on the disabled list after he suffered a sprained right knee ligament Monday night.
This time around it’s his right knee, whereas Machado suffered a torn ligament in his left knee last season, but the injury certainly didn’t look pretty at the time.
In his absence–today at least–the Orioles have shifted first baseman Chris Davis across the diamond to third base, where he’s started 68 career games.
After a terrible start to the season and a suspension for tossing his bat Machado has hit .351 in 28 games since July 1, raising his OPS from .662 to .755 during that time. He posted a .746 OPS as a rookie last season.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 4
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 14
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)