Aug 13, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
As expected the Orioles have placed third baseman Manny Machado on the disabled list after he suffered a sprained right knee ligament Monday night.
This time around it’s his right knee, whereas Machado suffered a torn ligament in his left knee last season, but the injury certainly didn’t look pretty at the time.
In his absence–today at least–the Orioles have shifted first baseman Chris Davis across the diamond to third base, where he’s started 68 career games.
After a terrible start to the season and a suspension for tossing his bat Machado has hit .351 in 28 games since July 1, raising his OPS from .662 to .755 during that time. He posted a .746 OPS as a rookie last season.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)