Aug 13, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
As expected the Orioles have placed third baseman Manny Machado on the disabled list after he suffered a sprained right knee ligament Monday night.
This time around it’s his right knee, whereas Machado suffered a torn ligament in his left knee last season, but the injury certainly didn’t look pretty at the time.
In his absence–today at least–the Orioles have shifted first baseman Chris Davis across the diamond to third base, where he’s started 68 career games.
After a terrible start to the season and a suspension for tossing his bat Machado has hit .351 in 28 games since July 1, raising his OPS from .662 to .755 during that time. He posted a .746 OPS as a rookie last season.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)