Aug 14, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
The Orioles already weren’t expecting Dylan Bundy to contribute at the major league level this season, but now the focus may officially shift to 2015.
According to Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, Bundy was placed on the 7-day minor league disabled list today with a right lat strain. He suffered the injury while running in the outfield after his most recent rehab start with High-A Frederick. The minor league season comes to a close on September 1, so there’s a legitimate chance that the Orioles will just shut him down.
“I think before we get to that point, I think we need to resolve this and make sure he heals before he does any more activity,” Duquette said. “It will probably take a couple of weeks [to heal].”
Bundy, who underwent Tommy John surgery last June, returned to game action two months ago and posted a 0.60 ERA and 22/3 K/BB ratio in 15 innings over three starts with Low-A Aberdeen before moving up to Frederick. The 21-year-old has had some struggles during his time there, putting up a 4.78 ERA with 15 strikeouts and 13 walks over 26 1/3 innings, but he struck out seven over 4 1/3 scoreless innings in his final start before the lat injury.
Bundy was the No. 4 overall pick and made it the majors in his first pro season as a 19-year-old in 2012. The past two years haven’t gone according to plan, but the hope is that he’ll be a factor in the Orioles’ rotation in 2015.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 47
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)