Aug 14, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
When you get a guy like that and he thinks he’s got everything figured out, it’s just tough to commence and try to get on the same page with you … He never wanted to listen … Good luck to [Indians catcher] Carlos Santana.
Six months later the Diamondbacks are a mess and Bauer has a 4.35 ERA with 101 strikeouts in 108 innings for the Indians as a 23-year-old, including eight innings of two-run ball against Montero and company last night.
To his credit, after the Diamondbacks loss Montero took the high road when asked about Bauer, telling Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic:
That’s the best I’ve ever seen him. I hope he continues to do that. It was really impressive. I tip my hat. He did a great job. I’m honestly happy for him. I hope he’s figured it out because he has an opportunity to be a really good pitcher in the big leagues.
He’s a good guy. He has a different personality, but not everybody has the same personality. But once again, I’m happy to see the way he threw the ball today. If he throws the ball like that every five days, he’s got a pretty good future.
Piecoro notes that Montero and Bauer ran into each other before the game and “exchanged pleasantries.”
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 7
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 35
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 73
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)