Feud over: Miguel Montero says nice things about Trevor Bauer

Aug 14, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT

Trevor Bauer, Miguel Montero AP

When the Diamondbacks traded top prospect Trevor Bauer to the Indians two offseasons ago in large part due to perceived attitude problems Arizona catcher Miguel Montero had some very harsh words:

When you get a guy like that and he thinks he’s got everything figured out, it’s just tough to commence and try to get on the same page with you … He never wanted to listen … Good luck to [Indians catcher] Carlos Santana.

Six months later the Diamondbacks are a mess and Bauer has a 4.35 ERA with 101 strikeouts in 108 innings for the Indians as a 23-year-old, including eight innings of two-run ball against Montero and company last night.

To his credit, after the Diamondbacks loss Montero took the high road when asked about Bauer, telling Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic:

That’s the best I’ve ever seen him. I hope he continues to do that. It was really impressive. I tip my hat. He did a great job. I’m honestly happy for him. I hope he’s figured it out because he has an opportunity to be a really good pitcher in the big leagues.

He’s a good guy. He has a different personality, but not everybody has the same personality. But once again, I’m happy to see the way he threw the ball today. If he throws the ball like that every five days, he’s got a pretty good future.

Piecoro notes that Montero and Bauer ran into each other before the game and “exchanged pleasantries.”

1. Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:09 AM

“When you get a guy like that and he thinks he’s got everything figured out”: “He’s a good guy. He has a different personality.”

This Bauer guy’s personality… I can somewhat relate him to 2 current players playing now… 1 is currently in the NPB and 1 is there in the Majors… But “THAT” happened.

Based on previous observations, It can also lead to success in the long run.

Tip my cap too to this Bauer guy.

• renaado - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM

“1 is currently in the NPB”

Fuginami Shintaro?

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:32 AM

*Fujinami Shintaro

Not even close renaado.

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Bud, please don’t tell me you are watching or possibly rooting for the “Cursed Colonel” team.

• renaado - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Well, I do watch them sometimes at NHK sports channel and Rutilen site in youtube, though. But I’m more of a Rakuten Eagles fan than a Tigers fan.

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:45 AM

SHIMATAAAA!! Guess I’ll consider you a rival when the Tigers overtakes the Kyojin for first place in the Central League.

2. zzalapski - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Does this mean Bauer is going to put out a craptastic rap song about what a swell guy Montero is?

3. Paper Lions - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Hmmm, it’s almost like teams should be patient with young players….with respect to both their performance and their lack of experience (what many mistake for immaturity). Expecting a 21 yr old rookie to go about his business like a seasoned 29 yr old veteran is just as misguided as expecting everyone to go about their business the same way….and having that expectation is a far bigger problem than being inexperienced….as that type of expectation leads to teams giving up on players like Bauer and trading them for 10 cents on the dollar.

• roundballsquarebox24 - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Their problems with Bauer were associated with the fact that he wasn’t willing to alter his throwing routines, and change his pitching habits to the D-Backs’ liking. They have a history of doing this to pitchers (they tried to stop Brandon McCarthy from throwing his cutter, and as soon as he went to New York and brought back the cutter, he was immediately more effective).

• Paper Lions - Aug 14, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Right, but their lack of patience with the fact that he wouldn’t do things their way led them to trade him for a utility IF. Patience and tolerance are two versions of the same thing, one associated more with variation in time and the other associated more with variation in mode/style (i.e. ways of doing or being).

A “my way on my schedule or the highway” approach is horrible approach to developing talent or building a baseball team.

• stex52 - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Deciding that the D’Backs are run by idiots is rapidly becoming a “beating a dead horse” issue around here. Let’s see if LaRussa can come to that conclusion and do something about it.

4. tearlw - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Sounds like Montero is auditioning for other teams. “Look how well I get along with people with whom I have past differences! Someone hire me! Get me the hell out of this madhouse!”

5. timmons94 - Aug 14, 2014 at 1:03 PM

i swear baseball seems to be crazy in that so many teams give up so early on these very high draft picks…how do u let Bauer go that quickly, this kid has a ton of talent…Bauer IMO is going to be a lot better than Masterson.

6. jrbdmb - Aug 14, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Hopefully the Indians won’t play any games in Arizona anytime soon … fully expect Bauer to get a 90-mph fastball in the back for showing up the D’backs.

7. dsaverno - Aug 14, 2014 at 3:08 PM

If you strip out the cliches from Montero’s comment, you’re left with “He has a different personality, but not everybody has the same personality.” But, seriously, the real lede in this blurb is that Montero actually gives his opinion. It’s refreshing to hear a player talk honestly about what he believes. He didn’t like the dude two years ago, and now he wishes him well.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2780)