Aug 14, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
Lowrie suffered the injury when he took a hard ground ball off his finger last week and went 1-for-11 at the plate while also feeling pain on most throws defensively before shutting things down.
Lowrie had a breakout 2013 season for the A’s, hitting .290 with a .791 OPS while staying healthy for the first time in his career. He’d been healthy this season until the finger injury, but his production has slipped to a .238 batting average and .671 OPS with free agency right around the corner this winter.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)