Jonathan Schoop owns the Yankees (and is terrible against everyone else)

Aug 14, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT

Jonathan Schoop Getty Images

Orioles rookie Jonathan Schoop homered against the Yankees last night for the second straight game and the 23-year-old infielder has hit .379 with four homers, two doubles, and a 1.262 OPS in nine games versus New York.

And here’s the thing: Schoop has been terrible against non-Yankees teams. For his Orioles career he’s hit just .205 with a .246 on-base percentage and .309 slugging percentage in 93 games against every other team.

Against the Yankees: 4 homers, 1.262 OPS in 9 games.

Against the rest of MLB: 8 homers, .555 OPS in 93 games.

(He also hit just .256 with a .697 OPS at Triple-A.)

Oh, and last night’s game-tying homer against the Yankees came off Dellin Betances, who made the All-Star team as a rookie and has been one of the most unhittable pitchers in baseball this season. Schoop also hit two homers off Masahiro Tanaka earlier this season, both of them go-ahead blasts.

1. pisano - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Believe me, he doesn’t have the franchise on that, there’s plenty I is out there that are in the same boat as him, they don’t hit anyone else, that they pound the Yankees.

2. pisano - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Error, this MacSpeech isn’t what it’s supposed to be. But you get the gist of my post I’m sure.

3. Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Against Tanaka? No surprise here for me.

• cshearing - Aug 14, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I guess Tanaka is weak too?

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 14, 2014 at 7:54 PM

How the hell is this relevant?

4. brandotho - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Nothing new. The Yankees always have a collection of scrubs who destroy them regularly. Sean Rodriguez has MVP numbers against Sabathia (even before he lost his fastball and knees), J.P. Arencibia murdered them weeks ago. They couldn’t get Pedro Ciriaco out when he was on the Red Sox two years ago.

• randomdigits - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I think you need to give Schoop a couple more seasons before you declare him a scrub. He is very young and with the big club because of his glove. He also had a fractured back last year which limited him.

• brandotho - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Ok, maybe it’s not fair to call him a scrub. He’ll probably be a very good player, but the numbers he has this year don’t lie

• largebill - Aug 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Every team’s fan base believe that to be the case. Here is a newsflash: In small sample sizes you will get statistical outliers.

5. ptbakery - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:19 PM

This means the Yankees will sign him to a FA deal in a future year. They will offer twice as much as anyone else and then he’ll hit in the Mendoza range until being designated for assignment at some point. Baltimore will pick him back up and he’ll beat the Yanks again with a walk off job! I can’t wait to hear John Sterling whine about it on air! Suck it Yanks!

6. gargamelsmentor - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Aaron, calling him “terrible” is a bit much. Schoop hasn’t even played a full season….cut him some slack.

• cshearing - Aug 14, 2014 at 2:32 PM

To be fair to Aaron, he did not really call him terrible. He said Schoop has been terrible against everyone else. Which is true, if maybe understandable due to his rookie status.

7. [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Can we nominate JP Arencibia for this award as well? Splits this year:

Overall: .175/.241/.385 – 71 OPS+
    Yanks: .276/.300/.759(!) – 184 OPS+

8. pete2112 - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I would say just about everybody at some point this season has owned the Yankees, but Schoop certainly likes playing against them. To be fair though, it was the Jones home run that really hurt the Yankees last night.

I think Baltimore is going to have a really good team for a number of years. I got a real sense of their team chemistry last night watching them destroy the Yankees 2-1 lead in the whatever inning that was. Needless to say I turned the channel as I knew it was over for the Yankees with their lack of scoring. Sad times for this Yankees fan.

9. dowhatifeellike - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Schoop and Davis are the weak links on this team right now. I’m willing to give Schoop another year to see if he can get his K rate down, but both of them might be trade bait next year. Davis is swinging through fastballs at an unhealthy clip and pitchers aren’t afraid of him anymore.

I’d include Ubaldo there but we’d be lucky to get a bag of balls in return because of that bloated contract.

• Eutaw's Finest - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Hey now Ubaldo had a quality start last week after his DL stint! Who knows what’s ahead for him!

• pete2112 - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Cruz will be a FA at the end of the season as well, I believe, and he’s definitely been a big offensive weapon for them this season. I’m sure he’ll be looking for a multi-year big money contract.

• joeflaccosunibrow - Aug 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Ubaldo dominated after the All Star break last year. He’s notorious for starting slow. If his track record holds true, we are in for some deep October ball!

• msolo1 - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM

We have given 3 years to Ryan Flaherty…..a lock down fielder, but with worse batting abilities than a 5 yr old. There is no way the O’s would think about trading Schoop, nor should they. He’s got the glove, he’s got the power, and is in his 1st year at this level. His swing will come around.

10. sophiethegreatdane - Aug 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Johnny Baseball is a smiley dude. I like that.

11. nvl004 - Aug 14, 2014 at 1:10 PM

“terrible against everyone else”

Alright take it easy he has like a little over 100 total games in the majors.

We can take struggles from a young hitter if he can come up with some timely hits, which Johnny Baseball has, specifically against the Yankees.

12. theinconvienenttruth - Aug 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Is terrible against everyone else and has been terrible against everyone else have two different meanings. Considering he’s a rookie, I’d say it would be far more correct if you’d have used the latter. Though, clearly your headlines are made to cause a stir in way in which you can lure in readers, so I digress.

13. 18thstreet - Aug 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Makes me wanna shoop. — Salt n’ Peppa

14. clipper522 - Aug 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Johnny Baseball.

15. mildbillhagy - Aug 14, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I think Aaron Gleeman could have provided a little background. Schoop’s in the majors because his footwork and hands at 2nd are pretty good with occasional pop. Schoop also dealt with a fractured vertebrae that resulted in some mediocre AAA numbers.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3486)