Justin Verlander: “I’m going to get other opinions” on shoulder injury

Aug 14, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT

justin verlander getty Getty Images

So far Justin Verlander has avoided the disabled list after being diagnosed with an inflamed shoulder capsule, but the Tigers right-hander is expected to miss at least one turn in the rotation and will have specialists take a look at his test results following his initial examination by the team medical staff.

Here’s what Verlander told Jason Beck of MLB.com:

I’m going to get other opinions. Whether I need to go visit them or not, I don’t know. The more minds you put together to look at something, the better. Hopefully they all come back and say, “Hey, that’s what we see, too.” If they say, “Hey, maybe you want to come in and get evaluated,” OK, I might be willing to.

Verlander revealed after his ugly one-inning appearance that he’s been dealing with shoulder problems for a while now, but would not specific when they started. Dating back to mid-May he has a 5.85 ERA in 17 starts, including an ERA higher than 4.50 in May, June, July, and now August.

1. stex52 - Aug 14, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Of course he needs a second opinion. This is his career on the line if a diagnosis is wrong.

• historiophiliac - Aug 14, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Definitely not something you just look up on WebMD.

• dsaverno - Aug 14, 2014 at 2:56 PM

If he looked up his symptoms on WebMD, I’m sure the results would be cancer and rabies. Probably both together.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Where’s House when you need him? On second thought, House changed diagnosis every 10 minutes so maybe that’s not a good idea. On the other hand all was well by the 55 minute mark.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM

At least we can rule out Lupus

• historiophiliac - Aug 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM

He was recently in New York. It could be ebola.

• pete2112 - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:00 AM

historiophiliac: You’re quite the Hypocrite. How dare you make a joke out of Ebola.

• stex52 - Aug 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Oh no, FC, it’ll never work. At the 30 minute mark House will decide that Kate caused it and the commenters will be all over it.

• sportsdrenched - Aug 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM

If I’m JV, I’m getting a 3rd opinion, calling my buddy from HS who is a doctor, AND reading up on it on the internet.

Of course reading about it on the internet always leads to once diagnosis: YOU ONLY HAVE 3 WEEKS TO LIVE!

2. philliesblow - Aug 14, 2014 at 10:22 AM

“If they say, “Hey, maybe you want to come in and get evaluated,” OK, I might be willing to.”

OK, I might be willing to? Don’t try to be a hero. There’s a fine line between being tough-minded and stubborn. It’s not just about this year but many years to come.

• historiophiliac - Aug 14, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I kind of assumed he put it that way so as not to be insulting to the team medical staff. Plus, you know how it worked out when A-Rod got a second opinion. (Now I must go and perform a ritual act of kindness to atone for comparing V to history’s greatest monster.)

3. pete2112 - Aug 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I’m not a doctor, but I think it’s a case of Kateuptonitis.

• historiophiliac - Aug 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I’m not a nurse, but I think you have a case of the Jealous A-Holes. JAH is a chronic disease that addles the brain if left untreated. Symptoms include: posting unrelated comments on sports posts about injured players, obsessive thoughts about the superiority of someone else’s life that borders on the tedious, and a shriveled sense of humor. JAH sufferers can manage their illness through techniques like shutting the eff up or not logging onto computers. The only known cure for JAH, though, is to get involved in causes that give one’s life meaning. I hope you get the help you need. I’m rooting for you.

• pete2112 - Aug 14, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I see somebody didn’t take their meds today. Chill out dude. Seriously.

• historiophiliac - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Oh, no! Your sense of humor appears permanently impaired. Help! Stat!

• happytwinsfan - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:01 AM

It doesn’t just border on the tedious, it is tedious.

Back on topic, I hope that you are happily celebrating the possibility that Verlander’s difficulties this year are attributable to a correctable shoulder problem.

• pete2112 - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM

You guys need some help. Are you getting a cut of Verlander’s millions or something? I’m sure he’ll be worrried about you if you miss a day from work.

• philliesblow - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM

How original.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 14, 2014 at 6:01 PM

The last few days you’ve completely come out of the closet as a loud and proud idiot.

4. pete2112 - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:08 AM

happytwinsfan: Cry me a river, guy. You have the last three Cy Young winners on your staff and one of them has a bad shoulder. Life could be worse.

• historiophiliac - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:21 AM

OMG! AND you can’t recognize that “happytwinsfan” indicates a Minnesota (instead of Detroit) fan! Help! Help! Your brain is mushing.

• pete2112 - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Wow.. what’s it like to live life being perfect? It must be special. And thanks for pointing out the Twins are located in Minnesota. This may be unbelievable to you, but I don’t always read the screen names, but thanks for point it out. I’m sure you feel much better about yourself. And you called me an A-hole….

• happytwinsfan - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Actually the Twins do have 3 Cy Young award winners on their staff, every night when I lay my head to rest.

Sadtwinsfan must be right about me. I was naive enough to think that we might finally have a thread about Verlander’s difficulties that didn’t include a reference to Kate Upton.

5. pete2112 - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:24 AM

historiophiliac: Question. Why is it you think you can only get Ebola in New York? What’s your angle there?

• historiophiliac - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM

The JAH is taking over!!!! You’ve lost all logic. Run for help.

• pete2112 - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM

It sounds a bit racist to me.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:34 AM

WTF are you talking about? Are you drunk?

• pete2112 - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:36 AM

A comment about Ebola and New York… And no I’m not drunk.

• raysfan1 - Aug 14, 2014 at 12:43 PM

There was a…white…aid worker recently returned from Sierra Leone over the weekend who was quarantined for three days when he started having flu-like symptoms.

It might be too soon to joke since emotions are still running high in some quarters, and the epidemic in west Africa is not yet over. (I’m still receiving daily WHO updates.). However, there was nothing racist about the joke.

• pete2112 - Aug 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I’m glad to know that you knew exactly what historiophiliac meant by his comment.

• historiophiliac - Aug 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM

If you weren’t so obtuse and addled by the JAH, you might have known as well.

6. rawdog2013 - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Calm down children, let rawdog talk some reason.

The hyenas won’t make the playoffs this year, unfortunately. I want the road to go through them, but the Royals are looking good. Verlander will revert back to form and continue to be a thorn in the A’s side, just not this year.

7. hgfrombc2 - Aug 14, 2014 at 11:51 AM

And I have to believe, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that JV WON’T be looking on this site for “other opinions”.

8. zdravit - Aug 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Ask Kate for her opinion. Maybe she can sit on it and make it all better.

• pete2112 - Aug 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Don’t you know the rules? It’s forbidden to bring up Kate Upton in a Verlander related story.

• zdravit - Aug 14, 2014 at 2:38 PM

It’s safe now. His career is over.

• historiophiliac - Aug 14, 2014 at 4:10 PM

You’re a pig. I’d complain but Aaron won’t do anything. That was disgusting though. You are a jerk and you are NOT as clever as you wish you were.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 14, 2014 at 6:24 PM

You are a bigoted idiot. Does it make you feel like less of a pencil-dicked loser to spout bigoted nonsense on a message board? I can’t think of anything much sadder and more pathetic that you, boy.

Ace-killer Giants do it again