Aug 14, 2014, 3:49 PM EST
Ryan Braun has been playing through a nerve problem in his right hand all season and today it’s causing him to be out of the Brewers’ starting lineup for the first time in a month.
Braun has repeatedly talked about how there’s no clear solution and today he discussed the situation further with Adam McCalvy of MLB.com:
There’s some thought that it could just eventually go away. And I think if there was a surgery that everybody was really confident would heal the injury and there wouldn’t be any side effects, we would have already done it. But because it isn’t something there is a lot of information on, it’s not something that’s been done often–we just need to continue to gather information. It’s not like I can’t play. I obviously can play.
Braun is right in that he’s still been a very good hitter relative to the league as a whole, but his .279 batting average and .814 OPS are both career-lows and he’s hitting just .161 in the past 16 games.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)