Aug 14, 2014, 3:49 PM EST
Ryan Braun has been playing through a nerve problem in his right hand all season and today it’s causing him to be out of the Brewers’ starting lineup for the first time in a month.
Braun has repeatedly talked about how there’s no clear solution and today he discussed the situation further with Adam McCalvy of MLB.com:
There’s some thought that it could just eventually go away. And I think if there was a surgery that everybody was really confident would heal the injury and there wouldn’t be any side effects, we would have already done it. But because it isn’t something there is a lot of information on, it’s not something that’s been done often–we just need to continue to gather information. It’s not like I can’t play. I obviously can play.
Braun is right in that he’s still been a very good hitter relative to the league as a whole, but his .279 batting average and .814 OPS are both career-lows and he’s hitting just .161 in the past 16 games.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)