Yasiel Puig can play a little center field, apparently

Aug 14, 2014, 2:28 PM EST

My first thought? “Wow, great catch.”

My second thought? “Why did Don Mattingly spend two months playing Andre Ethier in center field and Yasiel Puig in right field?”

Also: I feel sorry for that wall.

1. jinx21fan - Aug 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Decent enough catch, but “Wow, great catch”? I would be highly surprised if that was the “Catch of the Night” in MLB. He actually made it harder on himself than it had to be, proven by his last second adjustment back to the ball. Listen, I like Puig. I’m not a hater, but that should be a routine flyball in any MLB outfield.

• scatterbrian - Aug 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I can only guess you haven’t played any OF in awhile, if ever.

Balls hit directly at you in CF are difficult enough to track. This one went over his head, and he had to run about 18 strides to catch up to it. There is nothing routine about running that far straight back to make a catch….never mind up against a wall.

• tearlw - Aug 14, 2014 at 4:54 PM

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a catch at the wall in dead center that I thought was “routine.” Having said that, it probably won’t be the highlight catch of the day. Maybe if he’d flipped the wall like a bat… Come on Puig! Give the people what they want!

• jinx21fan - Aug 14, 2014 at 6:32 PM

People want to throw terms like great, historical, legendary, et al so much so they lose all meaning. Okay, I definitely pushed the pendulum a little extreme the other way. It was a very good catch (and while not routine, I believe should be caught more often than not at MLB level). Tome, this is a great catch. Of course it is all MHO.

• tearlw - Aug 14, 2014 at 7:04 PM

That’s not a great catch. That’s a spectacular catch. It says so right in the title of the video.
        Duh.

• rocoop - Aug 14, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Yes, great catch. But in my honest opinion, Puig doesn’t dive for Edmonds ball..

• chuckmacd - Aug 14, 2014 at 8:17 PM

If I were as cynical as you are, I’d simply call Edmonds’ catch OK since he took a terrible route to the ball by breaking initially to his left (which put him in the worst possible place to track the ball) and because Edmonds was really too slow to be in CF. If he were faster and/or didn’t misread the ball, it’s a routine over-the-shoulder catch, right?

• ironcurtin64 - Aug 14, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Best catch I’ve ever seen.

• notsofast10 - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Yep, this is a spectacular catch and thanks for exposing yourself as a jealous Angel Fan, makes sense now.

2. ch0psuey - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Puig can also drop routine fly balls whilst showboating…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester