Aug 14, 2014, 9:14 PM EST
Rangers right-hander Yu Darvish was placed on the disabled list yesterday with right elbow inflammation, but the good news is that it’s not considered serious.
According to Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News, Darvish underwent tests today which showed that the inflammation is mild. Team physician Keith Meister said there’s no indication that this is a long-term issue which will require surgery, but Darvish won’t be cleared to resume throwing until the soreness subsides. And so, it’s unclear whether he will pitch again this season, but there’s no real sense of urgency since the Rangers have the worst record in the majors.
“I want to go out there and compete, but I also think about the long-term situation,” Darvish said. “I don’t want to go out there and risk my future. I don’t want my elbow to be aggravated.”
Darvish has been on the DL in each of his three seasons with the Rangers. A Major League Baseball season is harder on pitchers than what he experienced in Japan Darvish said.
“It’s evident because of so many injuries we have in Major League Baseball,” Darvish said.
Darvish, 27, has compiled a 3.06 ERA and 182/49 K/BB ratio in 144 1/3 innings this season. He’s owed $31 million over the next three seasons, a sum which has the potential to prove as a major bargain if he can remain healthy.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)