Aug 14, 2014, 9:14 PM EST
Rangers right-hander Yu Darvish was placed on the disabled list yesterday with right elbow inflammation, but the good news is that it’s not considered serious.
According to Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News, Darvish underwent tests today which showed that the inflammation is mild. Team physician Keith Meister said there’s no indication that this is a long-term issue which will require surgery, but Darvish won’t be cleared to resume throwing until the soreness subsides. And so, it’s unclear whether he will pitch again this season, but there’s no real sense of urgency since the Rangers have the worst record in the majors.
“I want to go out there and compete, but I also think about the long-term situation,” Darvish said. “I don’t want to go out there and risk my future. I don’t want my elbow to be aggravated.”
Darvish has been on the DL in each of his three seasons with the Rangers. A Major League Baseball season is harder on pitchers than what he experienced in Japan Darvish said.
“It’s evident because of so many injuries we have in Major League Baseball,” Darvish said.
Darvish, 27, has compiled a 3.06 ERA and 182/49 K/BB ratio in 144 1/3 innings this season. He’s owed $31 million over the next three seasons, a sum which has the potential to prove as a major bargain if he can remain healthy.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 125
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 216
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (222)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)