Aug 15, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
The Brewers will have to attempt to win the NL Central without relievers Tyler Thornburg and Jim Henderson. MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy reports that both are done for the season: Thornburg with a right elbow injury, and Henderson with a right shoulder injury. McCalvy adds that Thornburg had a platelet-rich plasma injection in his elbow, and that Henderson may need to undergo surgery on his shoulder.
Per McCalvy, neither player suffered a setback; they simply weren’t making any progress coming back from their injuries.
Thornburg put up mediocre numbers before landing on the disabled list in June, compiling a 4.25 ERA and a 28/21 K/BB ratio in 29 2/3 innings. Henderson was worse, posting a 7.15 ERA with a 17/4 K/BB ratio in 11 1/3 innings prior to being put on the DL in early May.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)