Aug 15, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
The Brewers will have to attempt to win the NL Central without relievers Tyler Thornburg and Jim Henderson. MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy reports that both are done for the season: Thornburg with a right elbow injury, and Henderson with a right shoulder injury. McCalvy adds that Thornburg had a platelet-rich plasma injection in his elbow, and that Henderson may need to undergo surgery on his shoulder.
Per McCalvy, neither player suffered a setback; they simply weren’t making any progress coming back from their injuries.
Thornburg put up mediocre numbers before landing on the disabled list in June, compiling a 4.25 ERA and a 28/21 K/BB ratio in 29 2/3 innings. Henderson was worse, posting a 7.15 ERA with a 17/4 K/BB ratio in 11 1/3 innings prior to being put on the DL in early May.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)