Aug 15, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Cody Ulm of MLB.com reports that the recovery timetable for Gonzalez is expected to be 5-6 months, which would only leave him about a month or so of leeway before the beginning of spring training.
Gonzalez has had knee problems dating back to last season and the 28-year-old has played just 70 games this year while hitting a career-worst .238 with a .723 OPS after topping an .875 OPS every season from 2009-2013.
“It was hard for me to sit back and have a leg kick,” Gonzalez told Ulm. “It was even harder to hold all my weight on my back knee.”
Gonzalez played 145 games in 2010 while winning the batting title and finishing third in the MVP balloting, but since then he’ll have played 442 of a possible 648 games for the Rockies while missing at least 27 games each year.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)