Aug 15, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Kris Bryant’s incredible season continued last night, as the Cubs prospect hit his minors-leading 40th home run and it was a 12th-inning walk-off bomb on “Kris Bryant jersey t-shirt night” at Triple-A Iowa.
Bryant joins Rangers prospect Joey Gallo last season as the only minor leaguers to reach 40 homers during the past five seasons and between Double-A and Triple-A the 22-year-old third baseman is now hitting .336 with 40 homers, 33 doubles, 74 walks, 15 steals, and a 1.126 OPS in 122 games.
That includes .313 with 18 homers and 13 doubles in 54 games since a midseason promotion to Triple-A, which is good for a 1.083 OPS that would lead the entire Pacific Coast League if he had enough games to qualify.
And here’s the video of his walk-off homer, via MiLB.com:
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)