Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment

Aug 15, 2014, 9:24 AM EST

Jeter Respect AP

Kevin Kernan of the New York Post gives us one of your more barf-inducing pieces of Jeter-worship in a year that has already seen many (and which will see many, many more over the next month and a half):

It can’t end like this for Derek Jeter.

The way the Yankees are playing, there will be no October in Jeter’s final season . . . At the age of 40, Jeter was supposed to go out the right way, playing October baseball and letting the chips fall where they may . . .It can’t end like this for Derek Jeter . . . It can’t end like this for Derek Jeter.

Those last two refrains of “It can’t end like this for Derek Jeter” are what sends this over the top. Three total, which turn a column about Jeter’s October exploits into a fanboy bit of hand-wringing. Or is it wishing? Or maybe praying? To be honest I have no idea what this is all about. I’m not sure if Kernan — who normally does not tend to skew sentimental — is merely trying to serve the Yankee homers who do or if he’s actually letting his guard down and is getting genuinely verklempt.

Either way, he would have done well to explain to us why Jeter is so damn special that he deserves to go to the playoffs when so many other greats did not get to end their careers on high notes. Indeed, you can probably count the ones who did on one hand. Babe Ruth quit in May while playing for a team that lost 115 games. Mickey Mantle’s last year saw the Yankees finish in 5th place. Yogi Berra ended his playing days with a 112-loss Mets team. Ted Williams finished with a great personal season, but on a team that lost 89 games.

That’s usually how it goes in baseball. Why Derek Jeter should be an exception is beyond me. That people argue with a straight face that he somehow deserves to be is what aggravates the holy hell out of people about folks in the media who write about Derek Jeter.

A wise man once said that everything ends badly. Otherwise it wouldn’t end. Maybe that’s not 100% true, but it’s true often enough that wishing otherwise is just that. Wishing. And wishing is not a great look for the sporting press.

1. voteforno6 - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Maybe he’ll clear waivers and get picked up by a team that will play in October.

2. jwbiii - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:32 AM

The Yankees better trade him soon. The deadline for playoff eligibility is just over two weeks away.

3. pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:32 AM

It’s funny, Craig. I get that same barf-inducing feeling when you write about your worship to Bonds and how he is the greatest ever and deserves to be in the HOF, even though he took those silly PED’s that were of course no aid to his greatness, according to you.

• wallio - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:50 AM

^This, so much so.

And all the doe-eyed schoolgirl love fest articles about “Everybody’s Favorite” (read Craig’s favorite) Jeff Francouer.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Guessing they stopped teaching reading comprehension in schools, because pete2112 couldn’t be more wrong.

• Gamera the Brave - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:07 AM

With COPO on this – CC, worshiping Bonds? Or, for that matter, ANY player (okay, maybe Frenchy…)?

I think you are seeing what you want to see. CC has been very clear about his PED stance, and you are not pickin’ up what he is layin’ down, as it were…

• chip56 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I would have picked Puig instead of Frenchy because I think his Frenchy worship is sarcastic in nature.

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Please educate me how I’m so wrong. Are you saying Bonds didn’t take PED’s or that he did but they had no bearing on his power numbers or is hat size?

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:06 AM

When has Craig said he worshiped Bonds?

and how he is the greatest ever

[citation needed]

and deserves to be in the HOF,

He’s probably the 2nd best player in MLB history, and top 3 hitter of all time. And I’d argue he never broke any of MLB’s rules. So why shouldn’t he be in the HoF?

[citation needed]

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:10 AM

You’d be arguing wrong, then. Shock me.

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I think Craig himself would tell you he worships Bonds and I don’t think that’s exactly a secret around here. Oh boy. Well if that’s what you believe what I can say, but others might see it another way.

I have to ask though, where do you see Jeter as an all-time hitter? Is his being 6th on the all-time hits list just a meager accomplishment to you?

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM

He’s 6th in a counting stat that treats HR’s the same as singles. Guys I’d easily take over Jeter as a hitter:

[in no particular order]
        Ruth, Bonds, Williams, Gehrig, Mays, Mantle, Foxx, Musial, Aaron, DiMaggio…. and on and on and on. And that doesn’t count contemporaries like Thomas, Bagwell, Arod, Martinez, Griffey…

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM

So in other words, having over 3,400 hits means very little to you because it’s Jeter. Also, if you’re picking names such as Bonds, Bagwell and ARod we’re at a crossroads that we’ll never get past.

• mkd - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Not sure anyone was insinuating that retiring with the sixth most hits in baseball history is a meager accomplishment. That would be a pretty silly thing to insinuate. Let’s check him out as an all-time hitter:

Of players who have logged 10,000 PA, Jeter’s 120 wRC+ is 49th all time.

Of shortstops who have logged 10,000 PA, Jeter’s 120 wRC+ is 2nd all time (if you count Alex Rodriguez as a third baseman).

I’d say that as an all-time hitter Jeter wass pretty damn good. As an all-time hitting shortstop he’s basically the best in the last century.

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I also have to ask did you ever watch Jeter in the 90’s or see him in the playoffs? He never was going to give you big production numbers other than hitting for average but it’s what he did during their run and in the playoffs that made him who he is today. I really believe that as he always had a moment when he did something when it mattered most.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Please enlighten us on why Barry Bonds shouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame. Are you saying he’s not one of the best players in MLB history?

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:16 AM

No, I’m a Yankee fan. I’ve never seen this mythical Derek Jeter. Please tell me more about him.

If you are going to ignore what people write, and instead make stuff up that they didn’t actually say, then it’s pointless.

But you brought up the question, so who are your best hitters in baseball history?

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I’ve already said that, as an all-around SS, Ozzie is ahead of Jeter.

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Yes you have, many times, but thanks for stating it again.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Too bad Jeter didn’t go ahead and roid. Pete and Craig could then have a bromance.

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Zing.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I think you may be confusing “worshiping Bonds” with “not willing to burn Bonds at the stake for being the most evil person ever.”

Most of Craig’s articles on PEDs seem to indicate that he favors due process over hysterically rushing to judgement or scapegoating. I believe the stance on Bonds should be something like this:

Bonds was one of the greatest hitters ever.

He took PEDs, which likely inflated some of his numbers, but it is impossible to determine the margin.

He also played with and against many players who also took PEDs, but it is impossible to know how many.

Playing against PED users likely suppressed some of his numbers, but it is impossible to determine the margin.

Most of this was done while MLB and team owners and the press (of the press!) were either turning a blind eye to PEDs, or implicitly encouraging their use. (Co-sportsmen of the year!)

Once those sentiments changed, Bonds became a popular scapegoat for all PED use because he wasn’t very likeable on a personal level. People suggested all sorts of punishments for Bonds that fall WAY outside the scope of anything in the rules or at law. He was eventually blackballed out of baseball while still an extremely productive hitter.

This is bad because all players (and all people really) should be given the rights to due process as prescribed in the rules and/or law. If such process finds they violated rules or laws, the prescribed punishment should be doled out.

Since it is impossible to determine who used PEDs, the scope of the effect of PEDs on Bonds or on baseball as a whole, or what would have been otherwise, it is likely best to use the actual play on the field to make judgements.

Since there were few if any rules about PED use in baseball while Bonds was playing (by accident or by design) we should not rush to change the context of his playing days so we can add punishments to him after the fact.

4. miguelcairo - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Quite the reaction to something you don’t seem to like or care about.

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I very much care about shitty baseball writing if you haven’t noticed.

• nvl004 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Oh we can tell

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Please get Matthew to correctly cite the MLB rule book then.

• chip56 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Are you upset that it exists or that you want to corner the market on it :-)

• grumpyoleman - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:56 AM

It’s n ice to see that people still care about their work.

• Uncle Charlie - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM

So much that you turned it into a career?

ZING

5. tfbuckfutter - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:33 AM

My biggest worry is the Yankees catch fire, win the title, and I have to buy waist deep waders because of all the Ejeterculation everywhere.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Something tells me that won’t be a new JoeWords:

• umrguy42 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:23 AM

…I’ve needed quite a few of those words in my life. Admittedly, mostly the non-sports ones (missage, gleng, volumate, possibly tosmos, and e-migo)…

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I’m still trying to figure out the portmanteau that SocraticGadfly dropped on us yesterday: schwaffled.

• raysfan1 - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM

No need–he already has “jeterate” and “the Tao of clutchiness”–both of which I shall start using.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:39 PM

If you buy your $100 Jeter Junk Supporters, it controls your Ejeterculation very carefull.

6. larrytsg - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:43 AM

So thgey would prefer that he goes out like Willie Mays?

7. williamnyy23 - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:48 AM

The blogger doth protest too much, methinks.

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:56 AM

What does that even mean here?

• williamnyy23 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:03 AM

You frequently have a strong negative reaction to people who have strong positive reactions to Jeter, so much so, it kind of serves to reinforce the latter.

It is really a surprise that someone who has watched Derek Jeter play for 20 years would develop an extreme appreciation? If it makes you “barf”, maybe your reaction is just as visceral as those who lionize him excessively?

• Gamera the Brave - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:12 AM

But Bill, you just made Craig’s point for him – sorta…
        His gag reflex is activated by, “those who lionize him excessively…”
        “Excessively” being the operative word…
        Lionize your heroes, even sports heroes – but sometimes perspective gets lost, and lionization migrates to canonization.

• supersnappy - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:29 AM

It means you pretend to complain, but you actually love sappy articles about Derek Jeter and can’t get enough of them. Either that, or williamnyy23 has no idea what that quote refers to

• williamnyy23 - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM

@ Brave Right…Extreme reactions to Jeter feed off each other…and both are over the top. Kernan’s lionization is no better or worse than the need to criticize that reaction. On the contrary, it seems as if the criticism is less a reaction to the Jeter love and more an expression of Yankee-related animus (both of which are perfectly acceptable because this is sports, which should be fun and a little irrational).

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Is that Jar Jar Binks?

8. supersnappy - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Jeter should get a World Series ring regardless of who wins this year. He deserves nothing less

• proudlycanadian - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Sarcasm font?

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 15, 2014 at 12:40 PM

In a rare move, MLB announced that Derek Jeter will be starting at SS for both World Series teams from Game 4 on.

9. proudlycanadian - Aug 15, 2014 at 9:56 AM

I hope that some team does not honour Jeter when he plays his final game in that city. The outrage from the NY press will be spectacular.

• nvl004 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I will be at his final game in Baltimore. I will treat it like any other Orioles game.

….The NY press will not notice lol

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I wanted the Cards to give him an Ozzie Smith glove and an instruction manual.

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I love the whole Jeter can’t play defense thing that some of you seem to think that he’s had his entire career because it’s something you’ve heard in the last few seasons. You might want to look and see that he actually was a very competent shortshop for the majority of his career. I will say he was never the best defensive shortstop in the league at any given point but he made the plays and I can’t think about too many games back in his prime that he was the cause for a loss defensively.

• supersnappy - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Jeter’s defense has always been bad. Depending on which defensive stats you prefer, he’s had 2 or 3 seasons where he was only slightly below average, and 15-16 where he was among the worst in the league.
        That said, the fact that he could play a viable SS at all provided a great deal of value to his team, and criticizing him for his glove is like criticizing him for never hitting 30 home runs in a season. Of course it would have made him even better, but he’s still great, and it would be grossly unfair to harp on what he couldn’t do, rather than be amazed at all the stuff he was great at

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:48 AM

supersnappy: Please show me these stats.

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:51 AM

He ranks 30th all-time in fielding percentage for shortshops. I would hardly call that bad.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:51 AM

You might want to look back and see that he was NOT that good.

Per B-Ref:
        1. Career dWAR of -9.6.
        2. Career fielding runs of -244.
        3.-9 on zone fielding runs/1,200 innings (approx 1 year)
        4. -14 on defensive runs saved/1,200 innings
        5 -156 total zone fielding runs
        6. 4.05 career range factor/9 innings vs. MLB average 4.51

No, there’s plenty to point out that you’re wrong and wearing rose-colored Jeter/Yankee glasses.

This is all why he’s “only” No. 12 on Jaffe’s JAWS list.

Four spots behind Ozzie Smith.

Geez, I get so tired of people who won’t take an honest look at Jeter’s defensive liabilities.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Oh, lordy, @pete2112, if you’re citing fielding percentage as the be all and end all of fielding performance, please, just stop talking now.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Meanwhile, Ozzie had:
        1. dWAR of 43.4
        2. 239 fielding runs to the good.

Etc., etc.

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:07 AM

SocraticGadfly: first of all I never said he was better than Ozzie Smith and I point out that he was never the best shortstop in the league. Maybe you need to take off your Jeter/Yankees hate glasses.

• supersnappy - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:15 AM

pete2112, a fair question – if you’d like to look into defensive stats I usually like Baseball Prospectus (which is a pay site for stats I think) and Fangraphs. Baseball-reference.com is pretty good too. There are different ways of measuring defense so different sites don’t always match, but in they’re usually in the same ballpark.
        Jeter grades poorly in all three, and watching him, your observation about his solid fielding percentage would match my recollection. He usually made plays on the balls he could reach but his range was poor. But fielding percentage alone does not tell you very much about a player’s overall defence.
        That said, I think Jeter the below-average defensive SS was more valuable to his team than, say, Jeter the above-average defensive LF

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I’m glad to see you’re pulling every stat in the books to show just how horrible he was at shortshop. It’s funny though, when I think back after watching just about 90% of the games during the 90’s and early 2000’s, I don’t remember him being that bad. I’m sure you’ll find another stat to prove your point or one that shows how much better Ozzie was, which I don’t dispute, but I never thought he was a that bad of a shortstop. I guess it’s just my rose colored glasses clouding my vision.

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:20 AM

supersnappy: That’s fair. I know it’s definitely a range thing which is why the fielding percentage is a bit misleading.

• supersnappy - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Below average (even well below average) is hardly horrible. The horrible defensive shortstops don’t get to play there at all. So I think its fair that you don’t remember him being that bad, becuase a truly awful SS would be painful to watch.
        As a Jays fan, my memories of Jeter involve a lot of singles up the middle (haha Jeter! we’d all say), and eventually some sort of clutch hit or stolen base which would lead to a win (JETER! Him AGAIN!). He was a great, even if he was the 28th best defender at his position, rather than the 15th best.

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Again, fair points Snappy. Those 90’s teams were pretty good defensively and I’m sure Tino saved a lot of errors for Jeter as Tex has done more recently. Giambi not so much…..

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:45 AM

It’s not just Jeter vs. Ozzie. It’s Jeter vs. all sorts of folks.

If he weren’t Father, Son and Holy Ghost, the Yankees would have done the smart thing and moved him to 3B when they got A-Rod. Or tried flipping him and Cano. Or moved him out to LF.

Plus, I quote:

(emphasis added)

No, he never was “very competent” defensively, except for one year near the end of his career, where he apparently learned something about proper positioning, which, due to further range loss, he lost the following year.

If you had said, “well, he was ‘meh’ but not ‘horrible,’ ” the whole conversation might have been different.

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Again, I think you have it backwards. It’s not my Jeter love, It’s your Jeter hate. No where did I say he’s the Father, Son and Holy Ghost by me saying he was a competent shortstop and I only mention Ozzie Smith because you kept feeding me stats of his compared to Jeter.

Do I think Jeter should have been moved to third or the outfield at some point in the last 4 or 5 years? Absolutely, but the way you make him out to sound like a complete baffoon at the position is going a little far. Let me ask you, if he was that much of a liability at short, how did the team have so much success in the 90’s? Luck?

• happytwinsfan - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Here’s hoping Rob Ford gives him a big drunken smooch.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:24 AM

That would certainly cause an uproar. By the way, Ford will not be re-elected this year. John Tory is pulling away in the race.

• Uncle Charlie - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:45 AM

There is no “u” in honor here. Go peddle your maple leaf filth on one of the Common Wealth websites dedicated to football or the royal baby.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Kindly stop revealing that you know how to be a real jerk. It is quite unbecoming.

• happytwinsfan - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Another War of 1812 veteran?

10. gibbskins9 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:10 AM

The only Barfy going on is me after reading your column MORON

• twinfan24 - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Fine, we will all agree that you are indeed barfy, gibb9. Happy?

11. chip56 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:13 AM

A wise man once said that everything ends badly. Otherwise it wouldn’t end. Really, quoting the movie Cocktail Craig? Fooooor shame.

• nvl004 - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Coughlin’s Law

12. monsor - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM

So let me get this straight. You wrote an article about another article?

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:54 AM

You must be new here.

13. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:47 AM

In some ways, it was better that Mo and Pettitte went out the way they did last year. The team could properly commemorate their final appearances as such, without wondering if there would be one more game in the playoffs. Pettitte pitching a complete game in Houston as his last game is storybook stuff. Jeter and Pettitte getting Mo off the mound was so touching and moving.

Aren’t those farewells better, in their way, than finishing up watching the Tigers or Rangers or Cardinals jumping around after taking a series? I mean, sure it would be great to win a championship, but that is both hard and unlikely for ANY team entering the playoffs, let alone on the outside looking in.

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I don’t think anyone should feel bad for Jeter going out like this on a mediocre team. He got to be part of a dynasty winning four out of fives championships and was lucky to get one more in ’09 for a fifth ring. You can’t ask for much more in a career. He’s been showered in accolades his entire career and came up at the perfect time and had the perfect opportunity to make an immediate impact. He very likely should have been drafted by Cincinnati, so this whole story could have ended much differently.

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:04 AM

A little typo there… what I meant was four championships in five years.

14. mrsquishy - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Long time Yankee fan. Jeter has had an amazing career, but he is not the second coming of anyone – take your pick there. This worship is getting tough to bear. He was also the second best shortstop on his team once Alex Rodriguez signed with the Yankees.

Why do I sense we have a lot of lonely football fans here? I thought pre-season had started?

Lastly, CC please bring back Rachel Leigh Cook!

15. twinfan24 - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

If Jeter had toiled this long on a bad team and never made the playoffs, then I might agree. When the guy has only played a handful of games in his entire career when his team wasn’t still in the race or in the playoffs, he does not “deserve” playoffs this season just because he is beloved to his Yankees fans.

16. devilsmetsgiants - Aug 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Derek Jeter’s retiring?

17. embinoratsicus - Aug 16, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Say it ain’t so, Derek, say it ain’t so!

I guess we will have to overlook all of your flaws and give you a send off that no other player in the history of baseball has ever had. Not the closer who was more valuable to your team and was pretty much undeniably the best at his spot ever, not the best leadoff hitter and base stealer of all time, and not the best hitter since Ted Williams and the classiest guy in baseball, nor any of the other players that preceded you into the hall of fame, because you are obviously the best player ever according to the overwhelmed baseball writers.

Seriously, if you look at the numbers, he will make the hall of fame on the first ballot (much as it pains me to say that,) but he was not the best SS ever. SS includes fielding, and he was adequate there, but not the best ever. Great hitter, good ambassador for a team that doesn’t need anymore PR, and apparently somewhat of a nice, if arrogant guy. But we should be unsurprised at the maelstrom of knee pad requiring genuflection. I hope this is the last time this happens for any player, because it is BAD for baseball to assume that the loudest supporters mean that the player is better than those who are less boisterous. Just look at the Redsox, if it were true that devoted fans means you are somehow just better, they would have 70 rings by now.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester