Aug 15, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Maybe you knew already, as this was first reported in 1998. But I never heard about it. Today at PBS.org, Dr. Howard Markel tells the story of how baseball’s biggest star also played a role in pioneering cancer treatment: he was one of the first cancer patients who were treated with combinations of chemotherapy and radiation.
An interesting story with a link back to the original New York Times story uncovering that most interesting fact about one of baseball’s most interesting characters.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 57
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 73
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)