Aug 15, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Padres prospect Max Fried, who was shut down in spring training with a forearm injury and has made just five starts all season in the minors, is now scheduled to undergo Tommy John elbow surgery next week.
Fried was the No. 7 overall pick in the 2012 draft out of high school and ranked among Baseball America’s top 100 prospects heading into both last season and this season, but now the 20-year-old left-hander will likely miss all of 2015.
He has a 3.61 ERA and 127 strikeouts in 147 career innings as a pro.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)