Aug 15, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Padres prospect Max Fried, who was shut down in spring training with a forearm injury and has made just five starts all season in the minors, is now scheduled to undergo Tommy John elbow surgery next week.
Fried was the No. 7 overall pick in the 2012 draft out of high school and ranked among Baseball America’s top 100 prospects heading into both last season and this season, but now the 20-year-old left-hander will likely miss all of 2015.
He has a 3.61 ERA and 127 strikeouts in 147 career innings as a pro.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 2
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 69
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)