Aug 15, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Padres prospect Max Fried, who was shut down in spring training with a forearm injury and has made just five starts all season in the minors, is now scheduled to undergo Tommy John elbow surgery next week.
Fried was the No. 7 overall pick in the 2012 draft out of high school and ranked among Baseball America’s top 100 prospects heading into both last season and this season, but now the 20-year-old left-hander will likely miss all of 2015.
He has a 3.61 ERA and 127 strikeouts in 147 career innings as a pro.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 2
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 17
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)