Aug 15, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Padres prospect Max Fried, who was shut down in spring training with a forearm injury and has made just five starts all season in the minors, is now scheduled to undergo Tommy John elbow surgery next week.
Fried was the No. 7 overall pick in the 2012 draft out of high school and ranked among Baseball America’s top 100 prospects heading into both last season and this season, but now the 20-year-old left-hander will likely miss all of 2015.
He has a 3.61 ERA and 127 strikeouts in 147 career innings as a pro.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 0
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 16
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (112)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)