Aug 15, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Padres prospect Max Fried, who was shut down in spring training with a forearm injury and has made just five starts all season in the minors, is now scheduled to undergo Tommy John elbow surgery next week.
Fried was the No. 7 overall pick in the 2012 draft out of high school and ranked among Baseball America’s top 100 prospects heading into both last season and this season, but now the 20-year-old left-hander will likely miss all of 2015.
He has a 3.61 ERA and 127 strikeouts in 147 career innings as a pro.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)