Aug 15, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Rangers manager Ron Washington expects starter Yu Darvish to rejoin the Rangers’ rotation when he’s first eligible on August 25, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports. Darvish went on the disabled list on Thursday retroactive to August 11 with inflammation in his right elbow.
There was some concern that Darvish could miss the rest of the season, but it seems that Washington doesn’t share that concern.
“It’s our intention he will pitch again,” Washington said about Darvish’s season. “I expect him to pitch for us on [August] the 25th. I have no indication that it would be more than 15 days. Let’s let the process work and see where it goes.”
Darvish has taken a more long-term view. He told the media that if returning to pitch this season is “going to risk my elbow for the future, I’m not going to take the risk.”
The 27-year-old right-hander was in the midst of another great season before the injury halted his momentum. He has a 3.06 ERA with a 182/49 K/BB ratio in 144 1/3 innings. Robbie Ross started in his place last night and was shelled by the Rays, allowing six runs in 4 1/3 innings. Ross was optioned to Triple-A earlier today. The Rangers plan to skip over the #5 spot in the rotation as the club has off days on Monday and Thursday.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)