Aug 15, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Graham Womack of Baseball: Past and Present has been going decade by decade to identify baseball’s most underrated players. Today he has his final installment –covering the 1990s through today, with links back to the 60s-70s-80s, the 30s-40s-50s and the 00s-10s-20s.
You’re gonna love the choice for the most underrated of the 1990s. Word on the street is that I worship him.
Really, though: for many of these decades, note that the most underrated is often the best. Which says a lot about how we tend to misapprehend what true baseball greatness actually is.
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 2
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 71
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)