Aug 15, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Graham Womack of Baseball: Past and Present has been going decade by decade to identify baseball’s most underrated players. Today he has his final installment –covering the 1990s through today, with links back to the 60s-70s-80s, the 30s-40s-50s and the 00s-10s-20s.
You’re gonna love the choice for the most underrated of the 1990s. Word on the street is that I worship him.
Really, though: for many of these decades, note that the most underrated is often the best. Which says a lot about how we tend to misapprehend what true baseball greatness actually is.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 2
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 39
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)