Aug 15, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
After seeing brain injuries derail the careers of Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, and Denard Span in recent years Twins fans know all too well that there’s no such thing as, in general manager Terry Ryan’s words, “just a concussion.”
Still, considering how ugly Byron Buxton’s outfield collision at Double-A looked Wednesday night it qualifies as relatively positive news that the consensus No. 1 prospect in baseball avoided any other major injuries.
Buxton collided full-speed with the right fielder while trying to make a diving catch and was unconscious for several minutes before being taken by ambulance to a hospital. He’s been placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list, which means there’s a good chance his season is over after just 31 total games, as he previously missed two-months following a spring training wrist injury.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 85
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)