Yankee Stadium to have metal detectors starting Tuesday

Aug 15, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT

Metal Detector

There are already a handful of ballparks with metal detectors. Oakland and Detroit I know of, but there may be others. As of Tuesday Yankee Stadium will join their ranks. All of this is to get ready for 2015, when MLB will require them everywhere. Here is the statement from Yankees COO Lonn Trost:

“Nothing is more important to us at Yankee Stadium than the safety of the fans we serve. To that end, we are committed to the procedures that Major League Baseball and the Department of Homeland Security have asked us to implement. We want our fans to feel safe in Yankee Stadium, and our staff is dedicated to maintaining the highest security standards possible.”

I can’t recall any incidents at ballparks in my lifetime which would have been prevented by metal detectors, but I suppose that’s where we are now as a society.

1. jbriggs81 - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM

So is this the type of metal detector where we have to take off our belts and metal jewelry? Or is it less sensitive to those types of smaller items?

• timberwolvesbrisin - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM

In MN no it isnt that sensitve to belts and jewlery, but it could be different idk in NY.

• dawgpoundmember - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM

If it is the same ones as in Detroit then no. I always wear a belt but I always put my keys and lighter in the basket just so I do not find out the hard way.

• jfk69 - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Oh well.. I guess It means I

• jfk69 - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Their goes my beer budget. On the other hand. Shots all around.

2. timberwolvesbrisin - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:26 PM

In Minnesota, it now takes at least an extra 20 minutes to get in. If I get to the ballpark at game time, I usually dont get into my seat until 2nd or 3rd inning.

• zackd2 - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Well that’s a risk you take when you show up at game time.

• yahmule - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Well, people have jobs.

• karlkolchak - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I wanted to thumb up this comment, but that would make it look like I approve of this stupidity. I notice that DHS is behind this move. Does that mean the metal detectors are being paid for out of DHS grants? If so, then this is nothing more than yet another way to enrich the beltway bandit contractors who lobby the government for these kinds of things (at taxpayer expense) with the profits going right into their pockets.

I’d love to see a mass boycott of MLB games to protest this idiotic decision, but I know it will never happen.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 15, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Craig, good liberal that you’re supposed to be, you didn’t note that this is being done by DHS as part of the “War on Terra”?

As for need?

Yes, there’s been arguable actual need before, not to protect us from Mooslims, but from radical Philly fans. You’ve forgotten J.D. Drew’s battery shower at the Vet? http://nesn.com/2011/05/whats-the-strangest-thing-ever-thrown-by-a-fan-during-a-baseball-game/

• asimonetti88 - Aug 15, 2014 at 4:29 PM

coming soon to a ballpark near you: TSA and full body scanners!

3. pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Better safe than sorry and after two consecutive seasons not making the playoffs, the fans are going to get rowdy. Having said that, it’s take a while to get through the gates as it is, this won’t be fun.

4. cheeks9441 - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:38 PM

This isn’t that big a deal for fans who go to the ballpark once or twice a year. But if I had season tickets – 10 games, 20 games or more – this would be a real pain in the ass.

• cheeks9441 - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Of course, dying in a ballpark terrorist attack is a pretty big pain in the ass too.

• karlkolchak - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Yeah, and when was the last terroist attack on U.S. soil? Oh that would be 13 years ago. You are at much greater risk of dying in a raffic accident on your way to stadium than you are sitting comfortably in your seat.

• karlkolchak - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Sorry. “Traffic” accident.

• historiophiliac - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

And, if you’re black, by a police officer.

• bolweevils2 - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM

So, if there was indeed a terrorist hoping to make mayhem at a ballpark, now he’ll have to do it in the crowd of people waiting to go through the metal detector rather than in the crowd of people inside the park.

Either way, are we any safer from terrorists now?

I’d say a more likely positive result of the metal detectors is that there will be less people with a gun of a knife inside that might lose there temper, with or without the assistance of alcohol, and injury/kill someone in a fight. I guess that must happen on occasion, but I can’t immediately recall any instances involving weapons inside the ballpark.

• wallio - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Try 18 months ago. Or doesn’t the Marathon Bombing “count”? How quickly we forget in this country. SMH.

• historiophiliac - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:54 PM

How many stadiums got metal detectors after the Murrah bombing? Uh huh.

• pete2112 - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:43 PM

But look out for Ebola.

• historiophiliac - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM

LMAO!

• florida76 - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:54 PM

karlkolchak,

You’re one of my favorite TV characters and I have your movies and TV series on dvd, but if your editor Tony was here, he would say this. Karl, the last terrorist attack on U.S. soil was the 2013 Boston marathon bombing, executed by a couple of radical Muslim sympathizers.

• karlkolchak - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:37 PM

@florida76 – oops, you’re right. TWO terroist attacks in 13 years, with the last one, while horrible, killing only a handful of people. You are still at far greater risk driving in your car than you are at the stadium.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 15, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Or, you’re at more risk dropping your kid off at school, or letting him go to college.

Columbine ….. Virginia Tech … Newtown …. where next?

5. historiophiliac - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM

You mean: this is where we choose to be as a society now.

• karlkolchak - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I don’t even think we really “choose” to live in this kind of society. In this case, it is chosen for us by unelected bureaucrats and unaccountable lobbyists.

• historiophiliac - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM

To some degree, I agree with you, but I’m sure the comments here will show that there are a lot of folks out there who support this kind of pointless move. It’s so depressing.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 15, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Fear wins elections or at least buys short-term political loyalty. Sad but true.

And, both mainstream parties do it.

Don’t blame me; I vote Green.

6. mybrunoblog - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Another reason to go see a minor league game or stay home and watch mlb on my 55 inch high def tv.

• sportsdrenched - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Our Indy League Baseball team has metal detectors. has for 20 years. They aren’t that sensitive. I carry a 4 inch swiss army knife as part of “my pile” and it’s never been “detected”.

7. Chipmaker - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM

So a young fan couldn’t bring in his Alex Rodriguez model aluminum bat in hopes of getting ARod’s cherished autograph? How dismaying.

• rpearlston - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:41 PM

And that young fan would go where to get that autograph? That whining, sniveling man-child formerly known as A-Roid isn’t playing this year and will be persona non grata within the game for the rest of his life.
      BTW, without that description of a fool, the same (autograph seeking) is true for every player, everywhere

• asimonetti88 - Aug 15, 2014 at 4:33 PM

you need a sense of humor, it might make you less angry about trivial things like what grown men inject in their butt.

8. jcmeyer10 - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Still won’t detect the booze I’m sneaking in… heyo! *raises hand for five, nobody high fives me, puts down hand in shame*

9. erockfox - Aug 15, 2014 at 2:58 PM

They don’t have stand-alone metal detectors at Tropicana Field, but they frisk you with the wand before you get to the ticket line.

10. mrsquishy - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:12 PM

So do players and staff also get subjected to this nonsense? Pilots and flight crew get screened over and over…

11. Jason @ IIATMS - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:32 PM

But the Yanks will charge you $10 to pass through the “NY Yankees Legacy Reader” and an extra $5 for a “Legends patdown”.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM

The Legends Patdown includes a pair of Jeter Junk Adjusters?

• Jason @ IIATMS - Aug 15, 2014 at 4:25 PM

No, that’s a supplemental charge, but you do get a little gift basket as you walk away, fulfilled.

12. rpearlston - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Mr Calcaterra, you mentioned not remembering anything in a ballpark that would trigger the use of metal detectors.

I think you’ve managed to forget the game in which Wally Joyner was hit in the thigh with an open penknife thrown from the stands.

Don’t forget the time in Texas that the Jays Tom Henke was sitting in the bullpen and found himself the seemingly targeted by the telltale red dot of a laser sight.

And how many hundreds of times have coins been thrown onto the field?

• clemente2 - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM

If they are taking coins, the lines will be hours.

Is it worth the time/effort for those two isolated incidents over literally decades?

Maybe MLB security has information on current or anticipated risks that justify this–your examples do not.

13. migoli - Aug 15, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Hasn’t slowed me down more than a few mins at Twins games and I usually get there 20 mins or so before first pitch so I dot know what that other guy was talkingabout getting to his seat in the 2 inning. It’s really not that bad

14. happytwinsfan - Aug 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Our over reaction to 9-11 continues to do more cumulative damage than 9-11 itself.

We’ve also created a security theater industry which will ensure that all this stuff will hang around for decades after we finally figure out that we’re messing up.

15. Alex - Aug 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM

This is a slow down at first when people are confused. Once fans are used to having to go through metal detectors or getting wanded it goes faster. I have a ticket package for the Pirates. PNC Park has had wanding for over a year and some of the gates now have metal detectors too. The first game they tried it was a mess because it was for a sold out crowd and no one knew what to do. Over time I have noticed I get through the line pretty fast if there is even a line at all. PNC Park also still lets you bring just about anything into the stadium as long as it isn’t alcohol or a weapon. They have a pretty extensive list on the Pirates website.

16. tearlw - Aug 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Not to bring down the hilarity, but didn’t those two chumps who attacked Tom Gamboa have a knife?

17. jfk69 - Aug 15, 2014 at 5:20 PM

The militarization of our country against our citizens has been going on for some time.
    Our police departments now exclusively look to hire ex military. The problem with this is you are no longer looked at as a citizen with rights when things go awry. But as population to be brought under control.
    Thank your politicians for instilling the fear that enabled them to strip your rights with the Freedom Act so you can better be controlled. Hopefully you will wake to this new reality before Orwell’s 1984 becomes our new reality.
    Just ask the NSA. They now can monitor your conservations at will. No court ordered wiretap needed. Just a believe you might be subversive and non compliant. Now empty your pockets and show me identification. You were acting nervous and suspicious.

• tearlw - Aug 15, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Meh. Beats getting blown up.

• tearlw - Aug 15, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Please tell me the thumbs down people aren’t saying they’d rather get blown up?
        Are they Mets fans?

18. serbingood - Aug 15, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Metal detectors at Yankee Stadium. Interesting. What’s next, WIN detectors? Would love to see Girardi and the team go through that detector and have the results flashing on a sign outside the ballpark. As for the rest of this year and next it probably won’t go off all that much.

Welcome to 1965.

19. The Bronx Bombers - Aug 15, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Is this to protect Yankee fans or Red Sox players?

20. jfk69 - Aug 16, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Clueless
    Look at the middle east when a terrorist group wanted to commit an act ot terror with impact and guaranteed gore
    A bus at rush hour.
    Or in Japan/London.. A train full of trapped commuters.
    A city would be at standstill for weeks.
    A sporting event. So what if they they cancel future events. Patrons too spread out and not contained.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3134)