Aug 16, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
According to CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney, the Cubs are planning to call up outfield prospect Matt Szczur after tonight’s game against the Mets. MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat says the same, though the club has not confirmed it.
Szczur, 25, was drafted by the Cubs in the fifth round of the 2010 draft out of Villanova University. He was a successful football player, but passed that up to pursue baseball. This season has been his first against Triple-A competition. He has compiled a .261/.315/.312 slash line with 30 stolen bases.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)