Aug 16, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
According to CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney, the Cubs are planning to call up outfield prospect Matt Szczur after tonight’s game against the Mets. MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat says the same, though the club has not confirmed it.
Szczur, 25, was drafted by the Cubs in the fifth round of the 2010 draft out of Villanova University. He was a successful football player, but passed that up to pursue baseball. This season has been his first against Triple-A competition. He has compiled a .261/.315/.312 slash line with 30 stolen bases.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)