Aug 16, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
According to CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney, the Cubs are planning to call up outfield prospect Matt Szczur after tonight’s game against the Mets. MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat says the same, though the club has not confirmed it.
Szczur, 25, was drafted by the Cubs in the fifth round of the 2010 draft out of Villanova University. He was a successful football player, but passed that up to pursue baseball. This season has been his first against Triple-A competition. He has compiled a .261/.315/.312 slash line with 30 stolen bases.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)