Aug 16, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
According to CSN Chicago’s Patrick Mooney, the Cubs are planning to call up outfield prospect Matt Szczur after tonight’s game against the Mets. MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat says the same, though the club has not confirmed it.
Szczur, 25, was drafted by the Cubs in the fifth round of the 2010 draft out of Villanova University. He was a successful football player, but passed that up to pursue baseball. This season has been his first against Triple-A competition. He has compiled a .261/.315/.312 slash line with 30 stolen bases.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)