Aug 16, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
After losing their grip on the division lead to the Royals earlier this week, the Tigers have now fallen behind the Mariners for the second Wild Card spot in the American League.
The Mariners defeated the Tigers 7-2 last night at Comerica Park in Detroit to extend their winning streak to five games. James Paxton tossed six innings of one-run ball in the victory while Robinson Cano went 2-for-4 with his 11th home run of the season. Rick Porcello struggled in the loss, giving up six runs (five earned) on 10 hits over six innings.
Losers of seven out of their last 10, the Tigers are currently 1 1/2 games behind the Royals in the American League Central and a half-game behind the Mariners for the second Wild Card spot. Still, there’s a long way to go in the season and Tigers manager Brad Ausmus told Jason Beck of MLB.com that this isn’t the time to panic.
“I’d much rather be in first place up by 15 games, but that’s not the case,” manager Brad Ausmus said. “We’re just going to keep going. There’s a ton of baseball left. We didn’t win tonight, but we can’t change it, so we’ll come back tomorrow against a very tough pitcher. But luckily for us, they’re going against a tough pitcher as well.”
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)