Aug 16, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Yankees right-hander Masahiro Tanaka got back on the mound today for the first time since he was shut down in early July with a partial tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing elbow. While he still has a long way to go before returning to game action, he came out of it just fine.
According to the Associated Press, Tanaka threw a total of 25 pitches. It was all fastballs and he wasn’t throwing at full intensity, but he told Chad Jennings of the Journal News that he was happy with how things went today.
“I think we’re heading in the right direction,” Tanaka said. “So I feel really good about it.”
Tanaka said he wasn’t throwing at 100 percent effort, but he also said this felt like a better session than his first bullpen of spring training.
“I felt that I was able to throw the way that wanted to,” he said. “… I was able to get through it without any pain.”
It’s unclear when Tanaka will throw again, as the Yankees will likely see how he feels tomorrow before deciding on the next step, but he’s hoping to incorporate some offspeed pitches in his next session. The track record for pitchers rehabbing a UCL tear is not very promising, but Tanaka would likely miss all or most of next season anyway if he had Tommy John surgery tomorrow, so the Yankees will continue to take a shot in the dark and cross their fingers.
Tanaka, 25, was 12-4 with a 2.51 ERA and 135/19 K/BB ratio over 129 1/3 innings in his first season stateside prior to the injury.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)